Why become a member? ×

Customising Cabs

charic

I'm really playing with the idea of customising my cab. Getting a new grill for the front and then spray painting it (and keeping the old grill off to one side). Anyone got any idea where I could get hold of one?

If you have done this, what have you done? I'm loving the idea of doing this :)

I am running a screen printing business :) and here is what I recommend.

Next time you get your band logo printed (on t-shirts, for example) get the image printed on a sheet of fabric in the same run.

Of if that's too professional, make your own stencil and use spray if must be. Fabric that's not too dense, of course, just some cheap thin cotton, curtain material...

That you attach to the front of your cab under or over the grill.

Gaffa tape or velcro, or just by taking the grill off, putting the fabric underneath, screwing through it, cutting the bits off.

Like that you don't have to alter your cab.

Needless to say, you can do the same for your PA speakers, or just decorate PA speakers in the venue, use one of these sheets for the bass drum, hang one up behind the guy in the box office, etc.

Screen printed sheets / banners like that can be washed like any t-shirt of course - much more durable than paper stuff. Have even printed napkins (!) for Faust (!)

yes of course, there is charm to hand-made. but it WILL affect the resell value of your cab... go for the spare grill then if you can

as for brightness, you can screen print ANY colour (flourescents, silver, ...) - and the resolution is higher... i have done stencils for ages, now screen print is the same in a better quality - and it saves the cutting, and the screen lasts longer....