Why become a member? ×

Music Man Basses - multiple review

Silent Fly

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='978181' date='Oct 5 2010, 11:56 AM']great review!
I've got my buttercream ray coming back soon, may try the East MMSR 4 knob circuit, I've heard good things about this!
Based on 2 band eq from the late seventies, but not a copy! Intresting

Tony[/quote]

My intention was to mimic the EQ curves of the pre EB 2 band but the circuit is designed so that it's easier to tweak the settings. For example, the bass works in a similar range but I gave it some additional boost, beyond the original pre EB, if you want to dial it in. The 3 band has a mid sweep, which is neutral when the boost/cut knob is central, leaving you with just the 2 band.

During the design, I set up a switch to A/B between original electronics in my 76 Stingray, and my new design. It literally switched the pickup and the output jack between the old and the new allowing a true A/B test.

Edited by John-E-Retro

Nice review. I have had two 3EQ Rays and currently own a 2EQ Ray and for me the 2EQ blows the two 3EQ's out of the water. I could never get a nice fat punchy tone out of either of the 3EQ Rays (10 years between owning both so different amps also) where as the 2EQ is fat, driving with the typical Stingray tone. I love it.

I am just praying they release a Classic 2EQ fretless as my money would be ready for that.

[quote name='Linus27' post='978933' date='Oct 5 2010, 10:31 PM']Nice review. I have had two 3EQ Rays and currently own a 2EQ Ray and for me the 2EQ blows the two 3EQ's out of the water. I could never get a nice fat punchy tone out of either of the 3EQ Rays (10 years between owning both so different amps also) where as the 2EQ is fat, driving with the typical Stingray tone. I love it.[/quote]
I agree but at the same time I think the 3EQ is an equally interesting bass.

I suspect some people buy the 3EQ because [i]3 has to better than 2[/i] but a part from that, in some context the 3EQ version makes sense.

[quote name='Linus27' post='978933' date='Oct 5 2010, 10:31 PM']I am just praying they release a Classic 2EQ fretless as my money would be ready for that.[/quote]
Are you sure it is not available? I would give Alex @ Bass Gallery a ring just in case.

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='979316' date='Oct 6 2010, 12:42 PM']I agree but at the same time I think the 3EQ is an equally interesting bass.

I suspect some people buy the 3EQ because [i]3 has to better than 2[/i] but a part from that, in some context the 3EQ version makes sense.

Are you sure it is not available? I would give Alex @ Bass Gallery a ring just in case.[/quote]

As far as I know its not and I did ask on the EB forum. Might be worth me asking Alex though.

I indeed bought my 3 band EQ EBMM as I thought more equals better and as some of you know I absolutley love my pre EB 2 band but I would not be without either now.When I first got the 2 band I almost concidered getting rid of the 3 as the 2 EQ does sound so good but after having it a while now I realise there is a time and place for the 3 band also.I play in an indie/rock band and the 3EQ EBMM does work better in that mix where the pre EB sounds a million dollars in the funky blues rock band I play with. The J East makes total sense for all those reasons and I can imagine why mcnash is so happy with it.

I can see where a 3eq would come in handy. I used to play in a Pearl Jam trib. One night I took along my 2eq 'ray instead of my usual P necked Jazz. BIG MISTAKE! The prominent classic 'ray sound just didn't suit that style of music at all. Lucky for me the sound guy recorded the gig off the desk so I got the chance to relive the nightmare over and over again :). I'm pretty sure no one else noticed (in fact I even had a bass geek come up and compliment me on my 'ray during the gig :lol:) but I think a 3eq probably would have sat in the mix a lot better.