Why become a member? ×

G&L in UK

D-COOPER

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='271743' date='Aug 28 2008, 01:15 PM']I think they no longer make in Korea ( now Indonesia) but don't know if that coincided with the logo change. I'm sure if you visit Talkbass and go on the G&L Board and do a search you'll find the answer![/quote]

Any noticeable changes in quality that anyone’s aware of?

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='271762' date='Aug 28 2008, 01:45 PM']Any noticeable changes in quality that anyone’s aware of?[/quote]

None whatsoever - Cort is still the manufacturer (AFAIK), they just moved production to another of their large factories.

*oh, the bridges now say [i]G&L[/i] instead of [i]Tribute[/i] for what it's worth....*

Edited by El_JimBob

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='271744' date='Aug 28 2008, 01:19 PM']Is buying direct from the factory going to cost lost of ££s? They're almost custom basses, aren't they.[/quote]
Ive been in contact with guitar man who has given me a pretty good quote, as I dont think I could buy direct, and I also got a quote from FCN and its pretty much double!!! I asked her at FCN if I should import one, and guess what she said, 'no you musntn't do that, but thru us', sod that for a game of soldiers!

So maybe even fly out to NY in 12 weeks, pick it up, and have a little holiday!

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='115293' date='Jan 7 2008, 12:03 PM']Otherwise, there's a nice red [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=10714"]L2500[/url] on this site if you want so save yourself the hassle![/quote]
No there isn't. I've got it & I'm not letting it go - unless you offer me LOADSAMONEY :)

Just after I got mine there was a really lovely 3+2 with a clear flame maple top on Fleabay in the US that I watched for a while & hankered for a cunning plan. Came to nought sadly. I also thought about signing up for the BABP LE but other expenses got in the w\y of that

They really are good basses if you can lay your hands on one

Edited by WalMan

[quote name='mistahbenn' post='271552' date='Aug 28 2008, 09:35 AM']Dub - is that honeyburst?

Im thinking of having binding, prob not matching headstock, and normal Pickups for that full sound. The factory have a blueburst and a sunburst with binding in right now, but I think I can wait the 8 - 12 weeks for one to be made...

What ultimate G&L would you go for then?[/quote]

that pic is just a regular sunburst,the JB-2 on the right in the pic below is honeyburst I think and would be my ultimate G&L just the same as that apart from I'd want a matching headstock

I'm pretty sure this L-2000 is honeyburst too

and not sure what colour this is but as above,the gun oil tint neck is stunning

and the single coil option still gives the full sound of the buckers. the middle 2 way switch is changed to a 3 way giving series/single coil/parallel. this setting uses either of the two outside coils or both dependant on the pickup selector.

cheers

[quote name='mistahbenn' post='271904' date='Aug 28 2008, 05:01 PM']Ive been in contact with guitar man who has given me a pretty good quote, as I dont think I could buy direct, and I also got a quote from FCN and its pretty much double!!! I asked her at FCN if I should import one, and guess what she said, 'no you musntn't do that, but thru us', sod that for a game of soldiers!

So maybe even fly out to NY in 12 weeks, pick it up, and have a little holiday![/quote]

What did you expect from asking G&L's UK distributors???? In all fairness to FCN (who are a great bunch of guys) they were quoting you the list price and would never recommend you do anything else other than purchase through an agreed source. Jeez, do some guys want a free lunch or what?!?!

:huh: wow.... why don't you just go and live in Fullerton, get a job at the factory and save yourself a [i]whole[/i] lot more....
To be fair mate, the 'rip-off britain' tirades round here are getting a little boring....

Seriously tho, you did set yourself up for that.

Can we get back to gushing over the fittest basses in the world?

:) Edited by El_JimBob

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='115293' date='Jan 7 2008, 11:03 AM']EDIT: just seen your other questions about taxes. Add 20% to the total cost of the bass [u]and[/u] shipping and that should give you an idea of what UK customs will want.[/quote]

Noticed it stated that you should expect to pay Customs fees and duties on both the value of goods and cost of postage/carriage. This is incorrect. You will, of course, be liable to Import Duty (circa 3%) and VAT (circa 17.5%) on the value of goods only, as well as a Customs clearance fee (flat rate). Any charge for cross-border postage/carriage will already include local taxes and is therefore not subject to UK duties or charges. You should make certain that your vendor correctly completes the appropriate US Customs Declaration and Dispatch Note prior to posting.

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='271741' date='Aug 28 2008, 12:11 PM']What’s the story about the older G&L Tribute basses having “Tribute” in large capital letters on the headstock and bridge, but the newer ones only having “G&L”? Are there any fundamental differences with the older Tribute basses compared to the newer ones that have made G&L want to play down the “Tribute” badges on the newer basses?[/quote]

Tribute Series instruments were originally produced in Japan, before production moved to South Korea and then Indonesia. (Both these latter facilities being Cort production plants as mentioned.) The logo change occurred during the time production was being undertaken in South Korea. According to a marketing release at the time, the change was implemented for brand recognition and association reasons, as a consequence of the favourable reception the Tribute Series instruments had received in the US and other territories.

As to quality issues, being lucky enough to own Japanese, Korean and Indonesian premium examples, I have to say that all are of a remarkably high standard. However, the Indonesian example did arrive with some apparent quality issues - one of the bridge anchoring screws sitting proud, a mis-drilled hole for the string retaining tree and some less than adequately finished fret wires. Also, the rosewood touchboard appeared of an inferior quality to the others - partly why I had the Indonesian example de-fretted and touchboard treated with epoxy, to use as my backup fretless.

[quote name='D-COOPER' post='116077' date='Jan 8 2008, 09:51 AM']I actually already have an El Toro from the late 80's but its been neglected over the years in favour of a couple of "boutique" basses.I played it again recently and realised just how good the bass is.The bass control is more powerful than my other two basses combined and it just feels RIGHT!![/quote]

For me, the El Toro has to be the best of all G&L basses - the mid-range tone of the mini humbuckers is fantastic. If anyone has an example of an El Toro they would like to dispose of, drop me a PM.