Why become a member? ×

SVT3, muddiness?

MatthewKeys

Hey

My svt3 pro arrived today, and to be honest i'm not wowwed by the tone. Was just wondering is this me not having the right settings or what? I've changed my strings recently, but it just sounds abit muddy.

Is this normal or not? I am playing through a 410HLF and a fender MIM active special precision.

Thanks!

What EQ settings are you using out of interest. Are you boosting the bass control and pulling down the mids much? The Bass control on the Ampeg is set to 40Hz (and everything) below which is quite a low centre. That coupled with a P bass pup can sound quite 'pillowy' if the mids are scooped out. Mebbe start at 12 o'clock on everything and instead of boosting top and bottom controls, try pulling out a little mid instead. *hopefully, because you won't be boosting those sub frequencies, the bottom end will sound tighter. You could remove 'boxy' frequencies by cutting around 300-400Hz on the graphic. Finally, to add bite (especially to new strings) add some boost around 4-6k on the graphic.

Try:
On the amp: all the buttons out, gain, bass, mid, treble between midday and 1 o'clock, frequency on 2, tube gain on 3 o'clock, master on full, eq off.
On the Cab; set the horn to 2 o'clock.
On the bass: (DR Lo-Rider strings optional), check battery, all tone settings flat and the volume set to what you want.

If you get muddy out of that then you need to change your pickups or it's ear syringing time!
Or do what I did, get a Mesa Boogie cab.

[quote name='chris_b' post='972277' date='Sep 30 2010, 01:18 AM']Try:
On the amp: all the buttons out, gain, bass, mid, treble between midday and 1 o'clock, frequency on 2, tube gain on 3 o'clock, master on full, eq off.
On the Cab; set the horn to 2 o'clock.
On the bass: (DR Lo-Rider strings optional), check battery, all tone settings flat and the volume set to what you want.

If you get muddy out of that then you need to change your pickups or it's ear syringing time!
Or do what I did, get a Mesa Boogie cab.[/quote]

Thanks for the help everyone, will try the suggestions asap. And I was actually considering changing the p pickup, but I wouldn't know what to upgrade to, as this is my first active bass. What pickups would you suggest?

And also, would I need to replace the valves? The head is 3 years old.

[quote name='dood' post='972250' date='Sep 30 2010, 12:06 AM']What EQ settings are you using out of interest. Are you boosting the bass control and pulling down the mids much? The Bass control on the Ampeg is set to 40Hz (and everything) below which is quite a low centre. That coupled with a P bass pup can sound quite 'pillowy' if the mids are scooped out. Mebbe start at 12 o'clock on everything and instead of boosting top and bottom controls, try pulling out a little mid instead. *hopefully, because you won't be boosting those sub frequencies, the bottom end will sound tighter. You could remove 'boxy' frequencies by cutting around 300-400Hz on the graphic. Finally, to add bite (especially to new strings) add some boost around 4-6k on the graphic.[/quote]

Hello dood

I had tube voltage at around 12'oclock, was on mid frequency 1, boosted to around 3oclock, bass flat, and treble around 1oclock, gain 12oclock and master 12oclock. all switches out.

Thanks

[quote name='MatthewKeys' post='973146' date='Sep 30 2010, 08:22 PM']....And also, would I need to replace the valves? The head is 3 years old....[/quote]
The SVT3 PRO only has pre amp valves. They don't have the stress of power amp valves and only need replacing if they fail or develop a problem.

Try boosting the 2nd or 4th mid frequency and set the tube voltage to 2 o'clock. Should work
410HLF is boomy, pillowy cab, so you have to compensate by adding high-mids and highs.

Also you should check tubes in your amp - If you have Sovteks 12AX7WA inside that may cause the problem - they are muddy and "lo fi" sounding.

Did it sound like this when you demo'ed it?

It sounds like a gain thing to me...
Turn all controls down and go from there..gain and master at 12. and then start bringing the EQ in one by one so you get a feel of how much these knobs affects the sound.

After this simple startup...if it is no better, you have plenty of other thngs to pursue as posted above.

[quote name='mazdah' post='973382' date='Oct 1 2010, 12:25 AM']Try boosting the 2nd or 4th mid frequency and set the tube voltage to 2 o'clock. Should work
410HLF is boomy, pillowy cab, so you have to compensate by adding high-mids and highs.

Also you should check tubes in your amp - If you have Sovteks 12AX7WA inside that may cause the problem - they are muddy and "lo fi" sounding.[/quote]

Ah have I bought the wrong cabinet then? I know nothing about valves, this my first valve amp. All I know is that it is three years old, USA made and the valves have never been replaced. And that is exactly how it sounds, muddy and lofi, couldn't have said it better myself. I bought the svt3, as my second choice as there were no svt7s secondhand, but I don't think it sounds as good.

[quote name='JTUK' post='973590' date='Oct 1 2010, 09:26 AM']Did it sound like this when you demo'ed it?

It sounds like a gain thing to me...
Turn all controls down and go from there..gain and master at 12. and then start bringing the EQ in one by one so you get a feel of how much these knobs affects the sound.

After this simple startup...if it is no better, you have plenty of other thngs to pursue as posted above.[/quote]

The only time I demo'ed this amp was whilst I was in the states at my visit to guitar centre. I can't remember it that well but I'm pretty sure it sounded better than my one does (got mine off ebay).

[quote name='MatthewKeys' post='974579' date='Oct 1 2010, 09:28 PM']Ah have I bought the wrong cabinet then? I know nothing about valves, this my first valve amp. All I know is that it is three years old, USA made and the valves have never been replaced. And that is exactly how it sounds, muddy and lofi, couldn't have said it better myself. I bought the svt3, as my second choice as there were no svt7s secondhand, but I don't think it sounds as good.[/quote]

I think you've bought a great cab. And a very good amp. Check the tubes - I don't like Sovteks 12ax7WA , and I loved JJ ecc83s and GT 12ax7C - full, ballsy, fat and crystal clear. Also fiddle the EQ and crank the tube gain (you can safely use it "fully open")

[quote name='mazdah' post='975004' date='Oct 2 2010, 01:56 PM']I think you've bought a great cab. And a very good amp. Check the tubes - I don't like Sovteks 12ax7WA , and I loved JJ ecc83s and GT 12ax7C - full, ballsy, fat and crystal clear. Also fiddle the EQ and crank the tube gain (you can safely use it "fully open")[/quote]

phew, thought I made a bad purchase there! Did they use Sovteks as the stock tubes in svt3s? if they did, then they probably are, as they have never been changed. But I will open up my amp and see what tubes they are when I get the chance.

[quote name='chris_b' post='976645' date='Oct 4 2010, 03:18 AM']Remember, if you change the tubes, do it one at a time. If you take them all out at once you'll forget which one goes where! It's been done here before![/quote]

ha, yes I will make sure :) If I replace them do I have to buy a 12AU7 as well or can I buy 5 12A7X?
Also, any recommendations for a good active p-bass pickup?

Thanks

I wouldn't swap out ANY tubes. They're pre amp tubes & will virtually last forever. IF, tho, you've totally exhausted ALL possibilities of EQ & STILL don't like the tone THEN maybe try swapping a 12AX7 or 2.

I had the exact same rig as you- SVT3PRO > SVT410HLF cab. It's a darn fine rig. As the cab is 4 ohms you cannot ADD another cab to it with that amp- as it goes to 4 ohms minimum. But that shouldn't be a prob- as they go together very well.

1st- you GOTTA realise the "CLIP LIGHT" on the 3PRO is really NOT a clip light... :) IME the BEST way to run this amp is to run the gain HIGH- not worrying IF the clip light is on nearly all the time. It's a tube pre amp anyway so you'll only overdrive the tubes & wont hurt anything. Well I DIDN'T anyway. I ONLY used the Graphic EQ really when I needed a real extra BOOST. & really the LEVEL control on this can add another 1/4 overall volume to the amp.
Sure the 410HLF is a LOW tuned cab- but it goes plenty HIGH also & really you SHOULD be able to get a fine tone simply using the 3 rotary EQ's Bass, Mid & treb. Set the MID FREQ switch on 3 -or 4 if U need a high boost, then dime the mid level control.
IF you can't get a decent tone outta it like this- then sure- try the Graphic EQ- start with it all flat, then in small increments raise/lower the freqs relevant. Tho as stated- SHOULD be fine without using this, & just using it as a boost/feature for solo's, etc...

As stated also- make sure the buttons are ALL OFF- EVEN IF YOUR BASS IS ACTIVE - dont use the 12dB pad, dont use the ultra high/low buttons- etc I found they all were basically "TONE-SUCK controls" :lol:

As general measure- TRY- BASS- 11 oclock. MID- 2 oclock (mid freq select- pos 3 ) Treble - 1 or 2 oclock & see how U go.
Let me know how U go. Oh & BTW- If U really wanna get a screaming Overdrive outta it. Engage the Graphic EQ, push IT'S level slider to it's MAX, (leave all the other Graphich EQ levels alone-unless U WANT to change your tone) Push the GAIN up high(past 12 or 1 oclock) & adjust volume for your level. FUN FUN FUN!!!

Goodluck- hope this helps!
Rod

[quote name='rodl2005' post='977946' date='Oct 5 2010, 06:53 AM']I wouldn't swap out ANY tubes. They're pre amp tubes & will virtually last forever. IF, tho, you've totally exhausted ALL possibilities of EQ & STILL don't like the tone THEN maybe try swapping a 12AX7 or 2.

I had the exact same rig as you- SVT3PRO > SVT410HLF cab. It's a darn fine rig. As the cab is 4 ohms you cannot ADD another cab to it with that amp- as it goes to 4 ohms minimum. But that shouldn't be a prob- as they go together very well.

1st- you GOTTA realise the "CLIP LIGHT" on the 3PRO is really NOT a clip light... :) IME the BEST way to run this amp is to run the gain HIGH- not worrying IF the clip light is on nearly all the time. It's a tube pre amp anyway so you'll only overdrive the tubes & wont hurt anything. Well I DIDN'T anyway. I ONLY used the Graphic EQ really when I needed a real extra BOOST. & really the LEVEL control on this can add another 1/4 overall volume to the amp.
Sure the 410HLF is a LOW tuned cab- but it goes plenty HIGH also & really you SHOULD be able to get a fine tone simply using the 3 rotary EQ's Bass, Mid & treb. Set the MID FREQ switch on 3 -or 4 if U need a high boost, then dime the mid level control.
IF you can't get a decent tone outta it like this- then sure- try the Graphic EQ- start with it all flat, then in small increments raise/lower the freqs relevant. Tho as stated- SHOULD be fine without using this, & just using it as a boost/feature for solo's, etc...

As stated also- make sure the buttons are ALL OFF- EVEN IF YOUR BASS IS ACTIVE - dont use the 12dB pad, dont use the ultra high/low buttons- etc I found they all were basically "TONE-SUCK controls" :lol:

As general measure- TRY- BASS- 11 oclock. MID- 2 oclock (mid freq select- pos 3 ) Treble - 1 or 2 oclock & see how U go.
Let me know how U go. Oh & BTW- If U really wanna get a screaming Overdrive outta it. Engage the Graphic EQ, push IT'S level slider to it's MAX, (leave all the other Graphich EQ levels alone-unless U WANT to change your tone) Push the GAIN up high(past 12 or 1 oclock) & adjust volume for your level. FUN FUN FUN!!!

Goodluck- hope this helps!
Rod[/quote]

ah thankyou this has helped alot! I'm starting to like this amp, especially when I solo my precision pickup. However I just wish it wasn't so grindy, and that it had the ability to do nice clean tone.. oh well.

[quote name='MatthewKeys' post='977963' date='Oct 5 2010, 07:54 AM']ah thankyou this has helped alot! I'm starting to like this amp, especially when I solo my precision pickup. However I just wish it wasn't so grindy, and that it had the ability to do nice clean tone.. oh well.[/quote]

I've got an svt 4pro, it it can go pretty clean. try less gain and more master

Exactly-for CLEAN -[b] lower the gain[/b], [b]max the master[/b], [u]& use the GAIN as a level[/u]

- IF U STILL can't get enough CLEAN volume
- [u]engage the Graphic EQ [/u](unless U wanna change yr EQ) leaving all freq sliders flat, but INCREASE the GRAPHIC EQ [u]LEVEL[/u] slider!!

This gives the 3PRO a heap more headroom

Edited by rodl2005