Why become a member? ×

pqs

Hi
I'm new to wanting to take up bass guitar, and I have small hands and and something similar to Carpal Tunnel syndrom. I am looking to buy a cheapish introductory bass and looking for advice. What would be best the entry level Ibanez, or Yamaha or Squier? Also is a Jbass style easier to play (neck wise) than a PBass?
Regards
Peter

Try the SR300, it's a brilliant bass. Don't really know how much you're willing to spend, might be out of your price range? Personally, I've never been a huge Yamaha fan, but I haven't really played many. You can't go wrong with a Squier though.

I'd say go to a shop and play a load of basses within your price range, until you find one you like.

And as for the Jazz Bass neck, depends what you mean by easier. It's slimmer, so if you've got small hands you might find it easier. I prefer the Precision neck if I'm honest, but again it's completely a matter of preference.

Hiya, Welcome to the site.

I'm sure wiser and more experienced heads will be along to advise soon but lots of love on here for both Yamahas and Squiers.

Jazz necks are generally slimmer but lots of people prefer P style necks (edit: beaten to it!), having said that there is variation within Jazz and Precision.

Edited by rOB

Oh the irony. :) Someone suggests you start a thread somewhere other than the Introductions forum to garner a bit more attention, and it gets moved to the Introductions forum! :lol:

How did you get along with your CSB380? If you liked that maybe you could keep an eye out for another Cardinal - medium scale and a fairly shallow neck makes them easy to play (as you probably already know). Nothing on the 'bay atm, but they do pop up fairly regularly. I wouldn't expect to pay more than £130 for one.

Hi thanks for your replies. Not sure how much I have to spend as I am having to sell my melody maker to fund it. I suppose £150. I want something that sounds like a precision so that means the squier is on the list but the yammy and ibby are cheaper!
regards
Peter

[quote name='pqs' post='972698' date='Sep 30 2010, 01:59 PM']Hi again
The shop will give me £100 trade in on my amp which should mean I'll have about £230 max to spend. Are the Squier Affinity packages any good or the Epiphone EBO?
Regards
Peter[/quote]
I found the Affinity range to be pretty variable, anything from very mediocre to very nice. The electrics fall into the rubbish category though, from pickups right through to the output jack. You really need to try the actual bass you'll be buying.

No experience of the EB0 though.