Why become a member? ×

My first you tube video on Double Bass

geoffbassist

• 3 weeks later...

thanks Johnny, ive done an updated version with better audio (the old one was a bit quiet).
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GO8YwkKuFI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GO8YwkKuFI[/url]

Ive also just posted an unaccompanied version of Autumn Leaves
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYNEUeuphrU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYNEUeuphrU[/url]

they are all just demo recordings done on the iphone. Theres a few 'rough notes' but ive enjoyed the process of recording them. Im going to try some bass guitar stuff when ive got time.

cheers for listening Geoff

[quote name='BassBod' post='988219' date='Oct 14 2010, 05:31 PM']Good stuff (always tempting to say "mmm niiiccee" in the jazz voice). I wondered what you sounded like...and now I know![/quote]

Thanks BassBod. It's a bit of an odd way of recording/playing bass as i don't do any 'solo' gigs. I've learned a lot from the process of recording these though. Now I have a better understanding of what areas of my playing are weaker and what I need to work on.

[quote name='geoffbassist' post='988250' date='Oct 14 2010, 06:28 PM']Thanks BassBod. It's a bit of an odd way of recording/playing bass as i don't do any 'solo' gigs. I've learned a lot from the process of recording these though. Now I have a better understanding of what areas of my playing are weaker and what I need to work on.[/quote]

Which is always good! I think recordings do tend to bring out just how crap you sound. Of course it's more of a shock to people when they first hear themselves because they usually think they're totally awesome before they begin (this isn't a personal comment just a general observation). Anyway i thought it sounded fine. Liked the blues thing. Possibly need to work on the timing in areas but other than that, great.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='988274' date='Oct 14 2010, 06:46 PM']Which is always good! I think recordings do tend to bring out just how crap you sound. Of course it's more of a shock to people when they first hear themselves because they usually think they're totally awesome before they begin (this isn't a personal comment just a general observation). Anyway i thought it sounded fine. Liked the blues thing. Possibly need to work on the timing in areas but other than that, great.[/quote]
:)

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='988274' date='Oct 14 2010, 06:46 PM']Which is always good! I think recordings do tend to bring out just how crap you sound. Of course it's more of a shock to people when they first hear themselves because they usually think they're totally awesome before they begin (this isn't a personal comment just a general observation). Anyway i thought it sounded fine. Liked the blues thing. Possibly need to work on the timing in areas but other than that, great.[/quote]

yep I agree. time is the no 1 area for improvement. I think that when I'm playing unaccompanied I'm too concerned about intonation as it's so exposed.

Have you ever done a duo gig with a pianist who plays solo a lot? Its happened to me a few times (also jazz gitar) and the first ten mins or so can be a real challenge! Usually settles down after a tune or two, but it can be very strange sitting in someones else's private time bubble....

[quote name='BassBod' post='988388' date='Oct 14 2010, 08:24 PM']Have you ever done a duo gig with a pianist who plays solo a lot? Its happened to me a few times (also jazz gitar) and the first ten mins or so can be a real challenge! Usually settles down after a tune or two, but it can be very strange sitting in someones else's private time bubble....[/quote]

sure, those duo gigs are always a great reminder to keep working on my time/feel, especially with guitar.