Why become a member? ×

Fender Classic Series J's and P's

Jigster

[quote name='Musicman20' post='971491' date='Sep 29 2010, 10:40 AM']I think if they sound great, I wouldnt worry. They are very sneaky on their specs.[/quote]

This. The pickups on my Classic 70s are a LOT better than the supposedly US ones on my CIJ 75RI, so now the ones from the Classic 70s sit on the Jap as I've said before. I have a feeling this will differ between individual pickup sets but based on my experience trying a few the Classic 70s 'Vintage' pups seem very consistent. I'm really torn as to what pickups to put back in the Classic, Custom Shop 60s, Vintage 75s or another set of the originals as they just work so damn well.

I worked in San Diego a few years ago. San Diego is only about 10 miles from the border with Mexico. The workforce was 95% Mexican and the majority of the components were imported from Mexico.

The final product was still regarded as being American. That shaped a lot of my views on the whole marketing around MIM, MIA, MIJ.

I've also worked in Japan, Korea and China and all the facilities in those countries were far superior and better managed than their American counterparts.

So I judge each instrument as I see it at the price tag and the results are not always what the marketing people would have you believe.

Frank