Why become a member? ×

What do the cool people play?

spinynorman

[quote name='mikeh' post='967034' date='Sep 24 2010, 07:04 PM']Money by Pink Floyd is a must, But my fav lick/line to play has to be Sir Duke, ask anyone thats heard me try and bass, effect or amp before[/quote]

Yeah I like playing Sir Duke too, and Superstition (although the main riff instead of the boggo bass line). Always impresses others :) In the band I've been given the lead line for Love Machine whenever we cover it....fretless :lol:

The guitar riff for Sweet Home Alabama played on bass always goes down a storm too!

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='967049' date='Sep 24 2010, 07:20 PM']If we do a cover it's usually something so obscure that most people think it's an original. At the moment we are kicking about with the Felice Brothers' Whiskey in My Whiskey.

Personally I like a cover to be simple, easy to learn (so you can focus on the originals) and have an air of familiarity about it without being too obvious[/quote]

Did you see the Felice Brother's on their recent UK tour dates by any chance? My band were the tour support. They're really nice chaps.

Spent a long time doing weddings and corporate stuff so my brain is overloaded with sh*t, over-done covers, but a pub band I played in as a teenager used to throw in some good ones that you wouldn't hear that often.
XTC - Senses Working Overtime
Joe Jackson - It's Different for Girls (we also did the standard Is She Really Going Out With Him)
ELO - Mr Blue Sky (maybe overdone, but no band we knew of at the time played it)
A few other good ones I can't quite remember, bit of Squeeze and stuff like that. All the usual pish too.

Edited by joerattray

[quote name='Truckstop' post='967098' date='Sep 24 2010, 08:03 PM']I've never heard a cover band do 'Layla', 'Badge' or 'Cocaine'.
Actually a lot of JJ Cale might be well received.
Fleetwood Mac - 'Go Your Own Way'
No-one ever seems to try Dire Straits either.
Or Cannibal Corpse.

Truckstop[/quote]

Cocaine and Sultans...?? again, standard dep tunes.
In fact if you saw them on the pad...you think, result..!!

Not saying whether they are percieved as easy or not, just gtr staples....and they are done to death in pick-ups bands round here.

It is funny/interesting with all these songs threads how some songs are the norm in some places and in others, never ever played.

[quote name='JTUK' post='967594' date='Sep 25 2010, 01:34 PM']It is funny/interesting with all these songs threads how some songs are the norm in some places and in others, never ever played.[/quote]

Could it be bands look at what other local bands are playing and crib from one anothers' set lists? Ssshurely not!