Why become a member? ×

Raising your speaker cab.

arthurhenry

Depends how close you are to the cab. And whether you're a shorty!

We've probably all played with a guitarist or keyboardist who sits on their amp and just can't judge their volume - can be very unmusical (not to say annoying when the rest of the band can hear them louder than they can hear themselves)

I try to put some distance between me and my cab to hear best. If this isn't possible, I try to tilt the cab back. I'll raise it only if very cramped.

Yeah I'm a bit of a shortarse. I'm the shortest member of the band by a long shot, playing the biggest instrument :)

It means I can be a bit closer to my amp and still hear things at a good balance, however, the two guitarists are constantly adjusting volumes and never getting anywhere with it. Both of them desperately need lessons in how to set up and use an amp!

I don't get this, really.

I have a mini stack which is about 75cms thereabouts inc amp.

I never have any problem hearing it and the band has a full and powerful sound, IMO.
It strikes me that if you can't really hear it standing virtually on top of the set-up..it isn't going to project very well out there 20 mtrs back.
If you have loaded the bass at that point, it seems to me that this could be why a lot of unsupported bass sounds, sound flabby in smaller rooms.

If you have to have it at ear level, this seems to be the wrong cab for you. You might like the sound at the point you are hearing it, and you might like the sound, full stop, but I would seriously wonder who else is getting any decent benefit..??

[quote name='JTUK' post='967528' date='Sep 25 2010, 01:13 PM']I don't get this, really.

I have a mini stack which is about 75cms thereabouts inc amp.

I never have any problem hearing it and the band has a full and powerful sound, IMO.
It strikes me that if you can't really hear it standing virtually on top of the set-up..it isn't going to project very well out there 20 mtrs back.
If you have loaded the bass at that point, it seems to me that this could be why a lot of unsupported bass sounds, sound flabby in smaller rooms.

If you have to have it at ear level, this seems to be the wrong cab for you. You might like the sound at the point you are hearing it, and you might like the sound, full stop, but I would seriously wonder who else is getting any decent benefit..??[/quote]

I kinda agree in principle about that, but some places have strange acoustics, and to add limited space etc can make things sound weird, but it could be the bass