Why become a member? ×

Elixir strings

BassNovice

I bought my atk300 from eBay about 2month ago,when I got it the (elexir) E&A strings had already started to Frey round about the edge of the fretboard..obviously the coating coming away where the previous owner had been slapping.

Is it time to change them?I've only been playing for about 7month now,self taught so I'm not realy clued up on strings ,realy just asking if these are good strings?? Or could people recommend any other types to me that are good for most styles..I play fingerstyle..my slap is taking off and would realy love to maintain a clear and twangy sound but also love a dark and growl sound also..I don't use a pick at all!!

Also is this common for elixir strings.?

Thanks.

It's very common with Elixers. I used to use them with my ATK 300 too, and thought they were a good match. You don't have to change them until they start to sound dead, which can be a very long time with Elixers. I had a set on a bass for a full year before and they still sounded great.

Got to agree with that. They go on forever & tend to stay good on my basses for 6 months to a year.

My problem then becomes the fact that they are still sounding good after a long while and it's only when I think enoughs enough & put a new set on that I realise that some of the zing had actually gone.

Thanks guys..going to stick with the elixirs then,,..as I said I'm new to bass therefor this site...but have been observing for a while.. I've had a few now..but just want to say this site(people) blow mo mind..so helpfull,.going out of their way to help other bassists..i'm picking up so much from theory n technique site ..plus watching Marlowe dk...thanks everybody..

I'll regret thin the morning