Why become a member? ×

gibson ebo

ian

hi guys and girls
so my dad has had a 1969 ebo under the bed for many years and i have never been interested in it untill today i picked it up dusted it down lowerd the action and its amazing lol its also had a rear pick up fitted by john birch in the 70s to give it a jazz sound .just wanted to see everyones views on these many thanks

Lucky guy - I think my Dad keeps a shotgun under his bed......

See - [url="http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/EB0.php"]http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/EB0.php[/url] - the "EB-3" conversion was a very common one back then, makes for a better player but reduces the value; not that I'd guess you want to sell it on anyway. Get an old Ampeg stack or Fender Bassman and you're in blues-rock nirvana! :)

[quote name='ian' post='965001' date='Sep 22 2010, 09:31 PM']hi guys and girls
so my dad has had a 1969 ebo under the bed for many years and i have never been interested in it untill today i picked it up dusted it down lowerd the action and its amazing lol its also had a rear pick up fitted by john birch in the 70s to give it a jazz sound .just wanted to see everyones views on these many thanks[/quote]

I've got a '63, with the black plastic pup cover - yours would be chrome.
I've had it since 1978, and bought to rescue and use.
Whatever I did with it, whatever amp I tried, the sound was like a speaker
with two pillows and a duvet strapped to it!! :)

To my shame :rolleyes: I fitted a Precision pick-up to it, in order to brighten it up. :o

If it is the John Birch pup I think it is, at least your dad's looks sort of EB3 ish.

In my defence, I have seen others with the same conversion, so I am not the
only one to have done it!! :o

Any chance of a pic?

Cheers. :lol:

[quote name='FlatEric' post='965227' date='Sep 23 2010, 07:58 AM']....Whatever I did with it, whatever amp I tried, the sound was like a speaker
with two pillows and a duvet strapped to it!!....[/quote]
They all sounded like that. That's why the EB0 is my vote for the worst bass I've ever owned!