Why become a member? ×

Using old strings on a new bass?

lanark

The flatwound chromes on my new Squier CV Jazz are still a bit clanky, so I'm thinking of switching them over with the Chromes on my older P-bass, which have been on and playing for about a year. They're the same length from bridge to head so I was hoping to get the mellower sound from the worn-in strings straight away on the new Jazz (which I want to use at a gig on Friday).

Can anyone see any obvious problem with this, before I go and ruin something?

[quote name='lanark' post='964532' date='Sep 22 2010, 02:49 PM']The flatwound chromes on my new Squier CV Jazz are still a bit clanky, so I'm thinking of switching them over with the Chromes on my older P-bass, which have been on and playing for about a year. They're the same length from bridge to head so I was hoping to get the mellower sound from the worn-in strings straight away on the new Jazz (which I want to use at a gig on Friday).

Can anyone see any obvious problem with this, before I go and ruin something?[/quote]

Now the other band mates are obsessed that if I swop the strings over, neither guitar will sound right - even if I swop the old strings back to the old guitar. Can anyone put my mind at rest here? They're flatwounds, so it's not like I want that new string zing.

I lose track of what strings were first put on what bass. I literally swap strings out three or four times before I bin them. Not always to do with sound either -sometimes I just want to check a different string tension on another bass, or flats versus rounds, etc.

Only advice I'd give is to make sure you don't twist the main length of the string - that can lead to a dead (in a bad way) string. Given that the peg-wound bit of the string has already been wound, it will try to dictate how your string lies - which may not be in a straight line if the ball end part wants to go a different way. Make sense? If the bridge is ye olde Fender type string through, put the string through and wind the excess around the tuning peg, but not tightly. Leave it loose enough that you can orientate the string length into the path it should go.

[quote name='Conan' post='965266' date='Sep 23 2010, 08:53 AM']As long as they are the same or similar gauge as the ones that are one there... if not, you might need to tweak the action/truss rod etc...

They're your basses - do what you like with them![/quote]

Cool - they're both D'Addario Chromes. As I say, the ones on my P are just how I like them, but the ones on the new CV Jazz are still a bit clanky. (I know because they sound different even when plucked unplugged). The P and J are both Squiers and are both the same length from bridge to head.

I'm going to swop them over but not tell the rest of the band, because I really want to play the new Jazz on Friday without the band getting antsy. Of course, if it doesnt' make the difference in sound I was expecting, I'll just swop them back.

Well, I swopped them over and now the Jazz sounds just how I wanted it (although the P sounds REALLY clangy). I tried adjusting the bridge saddles but ended up getting into issues, but I think I have them sorted now. I have to depth of the P, witgh the dullness of a mute and worn-in flatwounds, but without the muddy lack of tone at the low end that I was getting at times with the Precision.

All in all, the right decision (now I have to hope that I don't have an emergency and use the P - because then the band will find out that I went against their advice).

EDIT: as a side question, roughly how long does it take for Chromes to lose that clanginess - I don't remember the first pair being anything like this bright when they went on (it's especially noticable when hitting the frets), but I suppose they must have been when new.

EDIT EDIT: Oh ... and now I understand what people mean by that Jazz "growl" - there's a definite rawness there that isn't on the P bass tone. What I do find odd though is the slight hum that's there if you don't have both pups turned up full. Is this a feature of all double pick-up guitars or just the Jazz layout?

Edited by lanark