Why become a member? ×

New pots

Bobby K

Ok guys, apologies in advance for the complete rewire noob that I am :blush:

I've just purchased a rewiring kit for my P bass, as seen here:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270635847621&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1070wt_930"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...T#ht_1070wt_930[/url]

The kit contains (from what I can see) two identical CTS pots, for tone and volume. Should they be the same, or should they be markedly different? Or does it not matter which one I use for tone and vice versa....?

Cheers

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='963276' date='Sep 21 2010, 01:32 PM']They will be the same - it's how you wire them that makes the difference.[/quote]

Ahh, I see. Cheers Doc.

I'm just gonna be following the standard P bass wiring diagram from Fender, if that matters...

[quote name='Bobby K' post='963281' date='Sep 21 2010, 01:34 PM']Ahh, I see. Cheers Doc.

I'm just gonna be following the standard P bass wiring diagram from Fender, if that matters...[/quote]

That's just what most folks would do.

Enjoy the soldering - I sometimes solder things just for the therapy it provides.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='963291' date='Sep 21 2010, 01:39 PM']That's just what most folks would do.

Enjoy the soldering - I sometimes solder things just for the therapy it provides.[/quote]

Yes, a nicely soldered joint is most pleasing. A knackered pot, through overheating, is a ball ache!!! As I found out recently, hence the new kit :)

[quote name='Bobby K' post='963309' date='Sep 21 2010, 01:56 PM']Yes, a nicely soldered joint is most pleasing. A knackered pot, through overheating, is a ball ache!!! As I found out recently, hence the new kit :)[/quote]

One more question guys. Looking at the Orange Drop from the side which has the writing on, which leg goes to ground (back of pot), left or right?

Ok, so I worked out the Orange drop thing and have finished the job.

All is well, apart from the fact that the knurled chrome knobs that I had on the old pots don't fit on these new CTS solid
shafts :)

The CTS are much wider.

Can anyone suggest some replacements that will fit these shafts? I was of the opinion that all shafts were the same thickness but I've been proved wrong, so new knobs needed!

[quote name='Bobby K' post='964011' date='Sep 22 2010, 12:43 AM']Ok, so I worked out the Orange drop thing and have finished the job.

All is well, apart from the fact that the knurled chrome knobs that I had on the old pots don't fit on these new CTS solid
shafts :rolleyes:

The CTS are much wider.

Can anyone suggest some replacements that will fit these shafts? I was of the opinion that all shafts were the same thickness but I've been proved wrong, so new knobs needed![/quote]

That's a bummer, guess you needed the split shaft pots then.

So I suppose you must now need the type of knobs that utilise a grub screw.

Don't think I'm the right person to offer advice though, I've just installed new pups in my daughters jazz and now getting problems with the pots :)

[quote name='gary mac' post='964038' date='Sep 22 2010, 05:34 AM']That's a bummer, guess you needed the split shaft pots then.

So I suppose you must now need the type of knobs that utilise a grub screw.

Don't think I'm the right person to offer advice though, I've just installed new pups in my daughters jazz and now getting problems with the pots :)[/quote]

Well, my old pots used a screw too; but they were split shaft pots and those shafts were much narrower. I feel like these are definitely an upgrade though, so I'm happy. Just need some knobs to fit the new girth :rolleyes:

[quote name='Bobby K' post='964052' date='Sep 22 2010, 07:22 AM']Well, my old pots used a screw too; but they were split shaft pots and those shafts were much narrower. I feel like these are definitely an upgrade though, so I'm happy. Just need some knobs to fit the new girth :)[/quote]

Why is it that the word girth makes me smirk everytime?

CTS pots do have wider shafts than cheaper alternatives, go to WD music website, they have loads of knobs that will fit high quality pots.
I drilled out the middle of a knob for a CTS pot on a strat once, it now spins uselessly round the shaft, doh!

(edited cos I can't spell strat)

Edited by Dave Vader

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='964136' date='Sep 22 2010, 09:36 AM']CTS pots do have wider shafts than cheaper alternatives, go to WD music website, they have loads of knobs that will fit high quality pots.
I drilled out the middle of a knob for a CTS pot on a strat once, it now spins uselessly round the shaft, doh!

(edited cos I can't spell strat)[/quote]

Yeah, it seems the shafts on the pots I took out are Jap with metric sizes, whereas the CTS ones are imperial sizes.

I had considered drilling my existing ones but don't think I'll bother. Will have a look at WD, cheers Dave.

As for the ebay kit, yeah, great stuff and arrived pretty damn quick. I'm gonna buy the kit again soon for when I upgrade my Squier CV P bass's electronics :)

Edited by Bobby K