Why become a member? ×

Donna Lee - multi-part solo bass version

urb

Yes I know this is a bit of nightmare tune for us bass players - I really wanted to have a stab at recording this as it's something I've played for years - so this is just an attempt at laying it down.

I double tracked the melody with one bass in the normal octave then another an octave higher - it's not perfect by a long way but I think it sounds OK. I then did the solo separately - again it's just what came out today! I could probably do better but I didn't want to obsess about the mistakes too much - anyway I'll shut up - I hope it's passable...

Thanks for listening

Mike

Donna Lee (for my good pal Ian Carr)
[url="http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=80221"]http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=80221[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Jase' post='116716' date='Jan 9 2008, 01:12 AM']Thanks Mike, enjoyed Donna Lee :) I can't tell you how many times I've attempted that and had to give up ( as with anything involving Jaco) Cool interpretation! If you don't mind me asking...what sort of practice regime do you have with that type of track, do you study it in sections and put it all together? Just I'd love to be able to get through at least some of it.
cheers
Jase.[/quote]

Your not alone mate, I too have tried this many times learnt a section or two and then given up

:huh:

[quote name='Jase' post='116716' date='Jan 9 2008, 01:12 AM']Thanks Mike, enjoyed Donna Lee :) I can't tell you how many times I've attempted that and had to give up ( as with anything involving Jaco) Cool interpretation! If you don't mind me asking...what sort of practice regime do you have with that type of track, do you study it in sections and put it all together? Just I'd love to be able to get through at least some of it.
cheers
Jase.[/quote]

Hi Jase

Thanks for the positive feedback - believe me I'm still working on this tune myself - I know it sounds OK but my inner perfectionist still soits on my shoulder going "Ooooh, you missed that phrase there didn't you...!" So the head isn't perfect by a long way here - but the ironic thing is now that I have finally recorded this (I've played it for years) I can actually play the thing better than I have ever been able to before.

My story with this tune is that I worked on a transcribed version from a book I shan't name - but bits of it were very wrong - luckily I have two guitarist friends who are both monster players and they helped me get all the phrases right - then it was just a case of playing it again and again and again... however one thing I will say that has really helped me recently is going back into studying and practicing rhythm in my playing. I mentioned on another thread about this Indian rhythm system called Konakol - it's truly brilliant and maybe I'll post something on it soon. But basically I've just worked on this bloody tune for years and I'm finally getting somewhere with it - maybe I will break it down and get Alun and other jazz heads to help me - and us collectively - look at a jazz tune and how to approach all the different elements - from bass line, to chords and solo and melody.

Hope that helps - thanks for listening.

Mike

PS Here's a little more jazz with my mate Tom Pilling on piano

The ole Monk tune: Straight no Chaser
[url="http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=81171"]http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=81171[/url]

[quote name='urb' post='116783' date='Jan 9 2008, 09:09 AM']maybe I will break it down and get Alun and other jazz heads to help me - and us collectively - look at a jazz tune and how to approach all the different elements - from bass line, to chords and solo and melody.[/quote]

Sounds like fun, I'm in :)

Cheers
Alun