Why become a member? ×

Herb Alpert - BBC4

99ster

BBC4 - Herb's bass player with THE black P Bass - matching headstock, [b]black painted neck[/b]. There it is - mythical & legendary. Never seen such clear footage of it before. Wow.

edit: found it [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vp6CsgncKw"]on YouTube[/url]
:)

Edited by 99ster

• 8 months later...

Just saw this post - fascinating. I just watched Herb Alpert on BBC 4 and his bass player, Pat Senatore, did indeed have a black precision with a painted headstock and a painted neck! This footage was around '66/ '67

Does anybody know anything about this amazing piece? Never seen a matching neck from this period!

Johnny

[quote name='99ster' post='960006' date='Sep 17 2010, 10:53 PM']BBC4 - Herb's bass player with THE black P Bass - matching headstock, [b]black painted neck[/b]. There it is - mythical & legendary. Never seen such clear footage of it before. Wow.

edit: found it [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vp6CsgncKw"]on YouTube[/url]
:)[/quote]
I thought the best bit was the trombonist lay back on the floor.

Amazing bit of nostalgia. Played in a big function band in the mid '70's (male/female singer, 3 piece brass section) usually played HA stuff for our first set, though as the trombonist then, I certainly didn't lie down to play!

Yep - I'd love to know more about the P Bass as well - I'm sure there was a thread about it once on The FDP...

[i]Hi John,

Good to see you on Basschat! Hope all is good with you. I still need to come over to show you my '60 Jazz...
There's some great folks on here - hope you enjoy it.

Cheers

Jim[/i]

[quote name='Johnnysonic' post='1247720' date='May 27 2011, 11:22 PM']Just saw this post - fascinating. I just watched Herb Alpert on BBC 4 and his bass player, Pat Senatore, did indeed have a black precision with a painted headstock and a painted neck! This footage was around '66/ '67

Does anybody know anything about this amazing piece? Never seen a matching neck from this period!

Johnny[/quote]

[quote name='99ster' post='1248798' date='May 29 2011, 12:11 AM']Yep - I'd love to know more about the P Bass as well - I'm sure there was a thread about it once on The FDP...

[i]Hi John,

Good to see you on Basschat! Hope all is good with you. I still need to come over to show you my '60 Jazz...
There's some great folks on here - hope you enjoy it.

Cheers

Jim[/i][/quote]

Glad to be here Jim, thanks! I though this was discussed on the FDP, but I did a search and couldn't find it. Would love to get to the bottom of the mystery one day.

Would still love to see your '60 Jazz, if you can find the tiime. I had to part with mine a few years back and I still regret it!

Cheers

John