Why become a member? ×

PA Sub Woofer speakers

Paul S

Just a thought - specifically Peavey PV118 subwoofer speakers. At first glance they appear to offer a lot of things I am looking for - they have 18" cabs and don't weigh as much a a small planet. Presumably when used for a FOH PA system then bass goes through them then. There must be drawbacks though?

[quote name='Paul S' post='959826' date='Sep 17 2010, 07:38 PM']Just a thought - specifically Peavey PV118 subwoofer speakers. At first glance they appear to offer a lot of things I am looking for - they have 18" cabs and don't weigh as much a a small planet. Presumably when used for a FOH PA system then bass goes through them then. There must be drawbacks though?[/quote]

Are you thinking of using them for bass guitar only, outside of their normal PA use?

If so, I would think that the main drawback is the limited frequency range. They have a bypass filter that cuts off much above upper bass and low mids. You'd need another cab capable of reproducing the missing frequencies to make up for this. They are also very inefficient. In itself this is not necessarily a bad thing, but the speakers don't handle enough power to really make up for this inefficiency, as they start from a low level. Each extra 3dB of sound pressure level requires a doubling of the amplifier power, and it looks to me that they will simply not be able to handle enough power to stack up the missing dBs.

If they are to be used in the role intended - as PA subs, I still think the lack of power handling will hobble them.

[quote name='Paul S' post='959826' date='Sep 17 2010, 02:38 PM']There must be drawbacks though?[/quote]It's a cheap driver loaded into a box that's too small, with ports about 1/3 the required area to work properly. It will give the same result as a cheap cab of similar design that's marketed as a bass cab, which is to say not a very good one.

Thanks. I have decided to wait for a proper 18" Trace cab now. Given I like their stuff so much, and how much everything else has cost, it does seem silly to mess it up for the sake of a few quid. Just a momentary rush of blood :)

A fairly specific reason, really, in that the first time I tried any Trace Elliot gear it was an AH-300 head through an 18" cab and the tone was just exactly what I wanted. I bought an AH 300 head, play it through TE 15" and 2x10" cabs but it isn't the same as the 18". I wondered if it was the fact that it was an 18" cab or specifically a TE 18" cab that would have made the difference but have decided to wait for one to come along and buy it, rather than spend the rest of my life experimenting.

As it happens PMT in Southend have a 20+yr old one. Really tatty, they are asking £250, which strikes me a little expensive. Anyone else think this is too much or is it the going rate?

[quote name='Paul S' post='960954' date='Sep 19 2010, 04:53 AM']I wondered if it was the fact that it was an 18" cab or specifically a TE 18" cab that would have made the difference but have decided to wait for one to come along and buy it, rather than spend the rest of my life experimenting.[/quote]It was that specific cab/driver combintation. Tone is not determined by driver size alone.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='961758' date='Sep 20 2010, 12:32 AM']Greenboy's been raving about Carvin LS1503's over on Talkbass. Trouble is, they are on sale in the US about £181 and they are about £485 over here......

G.[/quote]

That can be typical pricing policy over here if there isn't any price competition, you see it on other exclusive makes.

And 18" on it own..wow..!! wouldn't have though it would be useable.