Why become a member? ×

SWR Goliath 3 4x10

AndyTravis

Hi guys,

got a 2007 ish Goliath III, 8ohm cab, and it's a bit big for the band i'm in, and isn't seeing much work as i've been d.i. ing into the P.A.

It's currently in storage.

I've kept it really clean and tidy, as I bought a padded SWR fitted cover at the same time. The cover is a bit scuffed up, but has done its job well.

Mine is the exact same in appearance as the current SWR line, not the older black grille version.

Also, I have a Carvin R600 Bass head, USA made, originally part of a 'RedEye' 2x10" combo. It's the MK2 just before they added speakon outputs. I run it bridged at 8ohms, pushing out 500w. It's missing one push button cover, but is otherwise really tidy.
I bought it used, and it's had a service involving a power stage fettle, as it failed once. Not bad for an amp of about 20yrs. I recently replaced the 12ax7 pre-stage valve just out of good habit (used a groove tubes one).

This lives in a Gator shoulder 3u bag rack case with a panel blank to cover the empty 1u.

When i bought the cab, I started looking into new heads too, but the Carvin is still hands down the best head i've found, a bit of a jack of all trades.

The rig is fantastic, but as a soon to be 7 piece band, space on stage is an issue particularly with some of the smaller acoustic things we'll be getting up to.

I've also got a glass spine after an awkward piano lift at work a year or so ago (totally my fault - been doing it for years, and was being a tosser that day, well done me) and we'll probably never get to the stage of having roadies.

So, what do things like this fetch?

I know that SWR Gear ain't cheap (Bass Centre £785), Carvin is a bit of a hard one to gauge.

There may be a 'For Sale' in this at some point.

Thanks for serious opinions (hey, we'd all love a Goliath III for 'nowt').

Edited by AndyTravis

When I was looking for a cab I came across a few Goliath III's (I ended up with a Goliath one). As I recall they were £300-£350'ish, can't remember what impedance they were, but I imagine the 8ohm's are less in demand than the 4ohm's, also as I recall the metal grille versions are less regarded (apparently they rattle or something). No idea about the Carvin though.

In today's market, I'd say £350 for the Glll

I don't pretend that is a fair price or whatever..just that all gear is struggling at the moment, that is possibly what you will end up taking, when all is said and done.

Personally, if you want to achieve higher, I'd wait for better times. Money seems really tight atm in the FS section.
I have seen a fair few cabs that I would like, just not sell. At least with this cab you aren't exepcting...I assume..to be thinking about selling a nice item £100 under list like quite afew others recently.

The market is quite brutal atm, IMV.

FWIW I run two Golly III's under an SM1500, both have the shiney chrome speaker grills and I haven't had a rattle out of either of them.

My first one was part of a trade so difficult to put a 'value' on, whereas my second one cost £250 but to be fair was in a well used condition.

Yep, the are heavy but I can lift them on my own, and they make a righteous sound imho :)

i'm usually spot on lifting this on my own, for their depth and size they aren't a heavy cab.
The problem is that my back 'pings' at the worst times (changing nappies, getting daughter out of buggy etc).
I think the sound may be too good to let go anyhow.
Plus, the second hand market is crap at the moment, and £350 is a big drop...

Thanks for the help.