Why become a member? ×

Best current bass makers

Guest jonnyj

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='958872' date='Sep 16 2010, 09:58 PM']Steinberger? Schecter?[/quote]

I recently sold my 1983 Steinberger L2 for £1400. I expected to get more, as it was serial number 610. Seeing as they were £1100 in that year, that's a poor return for a bass that's over 25 years old.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='993896' date='Oct 19 2010, 06:26 PM']Not put the best but I know what he is saying .cheap and if it cuts through dont really go hand in hand. A cheap P bass will cut through anything with a good amp better than a Pukka T bird for instance unless you are familiar with them and know how to get that cool sound to come through you will fiddle all night.A cheap P or J copy at a jam night within 2 mins you will get a useable sound even if its not your normal sound or even one you like but as far as cutting through defo![/quote]

Well I suppose you'll hear any bass if it's loud enough compared to everything else, a good amp will only achieve so much, its the computer saying, rubbish in rubbish out, If I were to say a quality bass sits better in the mix it might be better understood what I'm getting at.

Just adding volume is not what most people class as cutting through the mix though so I still disagree really. A sadowsky Jazz bass on the front pup wont cut through like a cheap jazz on its back pup if you keep everything else the same will it? It might be a more pleasing sound but if you are talking purley on cutting through then the cost of the bass is irrelevent.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='993977' date='Oct 19 2010, 07:31 PM']I recently sold my 1983 Steinberger L2 for £1400. I expected to get more, as it was serial number 610. Seeing as they were £1100 in that year, that's a poor return for a bass that's over 25 years old.[/quote]You did what?
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='995170' date='Oct 20 2010, 06:17 PM']Just adding volume is not what most people class as cutting through the mix though so I still disagree really. A sadowsky Jazz bass on the front pup wont cut through like a cheap jazz on its back pup if you keep everything else the same will it? It might be a more pleasing sound but if you are talking purley on cutting through then the cost of the bass is irrelevent.[/quote]

I've no experience with sadowsky basses but I've owned a few P copies over the years including a Squire and I've had a MIM Fender Jazz, but none of these cut through/sat in the mix nearly as well as my old Stingray and my current MIA P, so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

[quote name='jonnyj' post='957733' date='Sep 15 2010, 09:42 PM']What, or who, do you consider to be the best bass maker in todays market.

Which manufacturer out there is currently making the best basses?[/quote]
11,374 members.
11,374 different answers.
:)

[quote name='PaulWarning' post='994504' date='Oct 20 2010, 10:01 AM']Well I suppose you'll hear any bass if it's loud enough compared to everything else, a good amp will only achieve so much, its the computer saying, rubbish in rubbish out, If I were to say a quality bass sits better in the mix it might be better understood what I'm getting at.[/quote]

[quote name='ElCapitan' post='993018' date='Oct 19 2010, 12:31 AM']What's the warning for? You being an idiot?[/quote]

[quote name='PaulWarning' post='995938' date='Oct 21 2010, 01:55 PM']I've no experience with sadowsky basses but I've owned a few P copies over the years including a Squire and I've had a MIM Fender Jazz, but none of these cut through/sat in the mix nearly as well as my old Stingray and my current MIA P, so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.[/quote]

I agree a better P will cut through better than a cheap P, But an expensive bass that has a muddy tone like a thunderbird for £1500 wont cut through as well as say a £600 Jazz bass on the bridge pickup hence more expensive does not mean it will cut through more.

And my pre EB cost a lot more than my EB Stingray,I prefer the purer Ray sound of the pre but the EB cuts through the mix better again cheaper and cutting through more.

I think your just listening to what you like the sound of more rather than what the audience out front hear more of?

[quote name='PaulWarning' post='995938' date='Oct 21 2010, 01:55 PM']I've no experience with sadowsky basses but I've owned a few P copies over the years including a Squire and I've had a MIM Fender Jazz, but none of these cut through/sat in the mix nearly as well as my old Stingray and my current MIA P, so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.[/quote]
Were you playing all of these through the same gear, with the same band?

more or less, certainly the same band, can't remember what came first the MIA P or my Marshall MB, at the risk of being called an idiot again I'll try a qualify my remarks by saying in my experience with the basses I've owned, the Ray and the P both had a more solid bottom end than the cheaper copies. Maybe there are crappy expensive basses, but I've been lucky enough to avoid them

I think we are just getting our wires crossed TBH? We are reading your original post as "any cheap bass wont cut through as well as any expensive bass" which is not true hence someone elses uncalled for "Idiot" comment . Where it sounds like what you mean is "a cheaper version/copy does not cut through as well as a more expensive version" which is nearer the truth but still not really gospel as I said before my cheaper albeit £1250 Ray cuts through better than my £censored :lol: pre EB Ray, Also I have a modded active jazz that owes me about £400 that can mix it with the best of them trust me its awesome. So I kind of know what your saying but still disagree :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='997998' date='Oct 23 2010, 01:24 PM']I think we are just getting our wires crossed TBH? We are reading your original post as "any cheap bass wont cut through as well as any expensive bass" which is not true hence someone elses uncalled for "Idiot" comment . Where it sounds like what you mean is "a cheaper version/copy does not cut through as well as a more expensive version" which is nearer the truth but still not really gospel as I said before my cheaper albeit £1250 Ray cuts through better than my £censored :) pre EB Ray, Also I have a modded active jazz that owes me about £400 that can mix it with the best of them trust me its awesome. So I kind of know what your saying but still disagree :lol:[/quote]

I'll settle for that, I can only bass :) my opinion on the basses I've used, if someone else has used more or different basses to me and comes to a different conclusion fair enough