Why become a member? ×

TE AH250 questions

steve355

Hi Guys

Well I picked up an old AH250 + 4x10 yesterday for gigging puroposes. So far it seems perfect for what I need - cheap, sounds great, loud and built like a Hummer. Also I can cancel my gym membership, so it will pay for itself quickly.

But I don't have a manual, so a few questions:

[list=1]
[*]There are 2 inputs - are they different, for active & passive instruments, or both the same? They seem the same.
[*]My bass is passive. I have to turn up the input gain pretty high to get the "OK" light to light. Is this normal?
[*]When should I use the high fan speed setting and when is it OK to use the low?
[*]Is there a way to set the threshold for the noise gate?
[*]Does anyone know where I can get a manual? I've googled and hunted to no avail.
[/list]

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Cheers!

Steve

But I don't have a manual, so a few questions:

[list=1]
[*]There are 2 inputs - are they different, for active & passive instruments, or both the same? They seem the same.
No..A passive bass has a much lower input signal than and active and the inputs compensate for this. I have an AH200 and you do notice a difference and have to alter the input gain.

[*]My bass is passive. I have to turn up the input gain pretty high to get the "OK" light to light. Is this normal?.
You should plug your bass in, turn the output volume to zero and keep adding input untill you mainly get the green arrow with the very occasional foray to the red...
I have a rickenbacker and run the input between 2 o clock and 3 o'clock to get the right input volume

[*]When should I use the high fan speed setting and when is it OK to use the low?
Can't answer that..the AH200 doesnt have a fan! Sorry. I would imagine that you would use the high speed when gigging and the low speed when recording..less hum..but I am just taking an educated guess

[*]Is there a way to set the threshold for the noise gate?
Not on mine..it's on or off. But it does work very well.

[*]Does anyone know where I can get a manual? I've googled and hunted to no avail.
I did find a full manual for the AH 200 on line but it is on an old PC and not sure I can access it..I will try for you, I think the amps are very similar.
[/list]

[quote name='Dudgeman' post='950464' date='Sep 9 2010, 12:09 PM']But I don't have a manual, so a few questions:

[list=1]
I have a rickenbacker and run the input between 2 o clock and 3 o'clock to get the right input volume

I did find a full manual for the AH 200 on line but it is on an old PC and not sure I can access it..I will try for you, I think the amps are very similar.
[/list][/quote]

Thanks!

Thats the thing, I have to be at 9/10 to get the right level. Doesn't feel right.

The manual that is on BritishAudioService isn't comprehensive - maybe it is just a rubbish manual but it doesn't seem to describe the noise gate, or the inputs other than explaining the input gain procedure.

Thanks though :-)

[quote name='steve355' post='950576' date='Sep 9 2010, 01:25 PM']Thanks!

Thats the thing, I have to be at 9/10 to get the right level. Doesn't feel right.

The manual that is on BritishAudioService isn't comprehensive - maybe it is just a rubbish manual but it doesn't seem to describe the noise gate, or the inputs other than explaining the input gain procedure.

Thanks though :-)[/quote]

When i had a Trace 12 band head i had the input gain on about 8 or 9 depending on the bass. Lots of headroom on the input i guess!

Thanks Guys , all very useful info.

I used it for the first time at my band rehearsal yesterday, I have mixed feelings about it....

* It took quite a lot of work to get a tone that worked with the band - still not totally happy. But the tone shaping ability is huge.
* Don't think noise gate is working!
* It sounded "lumpy" - not sure if the room we were rehearsing in, which is a school hall, just had a bunch of horrible modes. Or if it badly needs a compressor - or if it has a problem. Didn't have the same problem with the crappy Ohm 1x12 combo I've been using recently.
* It wasn't as loud as I expected.

But I did like it...

Any advice appreciated.

"Wasn't as loud as I expected" . . . . . .

I reckon maybe you're not setting the input gain high enough - I whack the open e really hard - maybe thumb it, then set the gain so it's just hitting the red a bit. Then I eq it, then re do the gain - usually bringing it down a bit.

If it's really 'not that loud' then there's probably something wrong with it - mine is phenomenally loud - and Trace in general has a reputation of being louder then the specified output would suggest.

Your loud problem is interesting. As I said I have an AH200..slightly different but 200w RMS at 4 ohms. I bought it new in 1990..it came matched with an 8ohm 1510x cab..(still brilliant after all these years..) mine always promised much volume and never really delivered until abot 10 years ago..then I bought an Ashdown 4x10 ABM cab and paired it up with the Trace cab so the amp was actually being driven at 4ohms and oh my god what a difference..as they say double your cabs twice the volume..if you are only using one 8ohm rated cab you will never get the best out of it...Check the Ohms rating as you can get 4 OHM rated cabs as well..it is very important.
If you were using a combo before you can guaruntee the speaker and amp were designed to work together at the correct OHMS and wattage..hence nicely balanced and powerful.

A quick example..we supported Dogs D'Armour at a gig and I turned up, amp head and the 2 cabs...loud and large..their bass player turned up with some Trace 500w combo with a 15" speaker and nearly blew me off the stage...very interesting stuff..
Hope that helps ...oh and if anyone is interested I am about to put the Trace up for sale....see classifieds.