Why become a member? ×

OLP vs. MusicMan Stingray: correction.

mcnach

OK I have kept out of it long enough its been a sh*t week and I have ended up with one less dog :) but im back!
You would not beleive me the OLP was not as good as an EBMM before now will you trust me a bit more that the pre EB is even better again? You should try one out Its not as versatile as a 3 band especially your modded one but for funky stuff it cant be beaten trust me :brow:

[quote name='Rayman' post='952206' date='Sep 10 2010, 08:01 PM']Put an OLP in my hands, plug it in and play it, I'd say, right Ok, that's alright.

Put a [i]Musicman[/i] in my hands, plug it in and play it, I'd say, [i]oh yeah[/i], that's why it costs more.

It's as simple as that for me.[/quote]

MB1. :)
...Put MY Musicman Stingray in my hands,Plug it in, Play it, I'd Say ...."Your My Wife Now!"
...Put an OLP in my hands ,Plug it in,play it,i'd say...."Wanna Buy some Pegs Dave!"

[quote name='MB1' post='952736' date='Sep 11 2010, 02:18 PM']MB1. :rolleyes:
...Put MY Musicman Stingray in my hands,Plug it in, Play it, I'd Say ...."Your My Wife Now!"
...Put an OLP in my hands ,Plug it in,play it,i'd say...."Wanna Buy some Pegs Dave!"[/quote]

:lol: :o :o

I loved that!

Just came back quickly while I sip on an ice cold coke... must have a shower and run, got a gig an hour and a half away from here, but it's a beautiful day and I'll enjoy the drive... and I have my MP3 CD with my favourite compilation of Iron Maiden, Scorpions and Thin Lizzy... sometimes you just have to bring those guys out and play them loud. I hope the drummer likes that... because when I'm driving I am the master of the CD player :P

I have a few things I want to say about other messages... later. :)
BUt I can tell you, we have no deal, Ou7shined... but for a different reason than you thing ;)

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='MB1' post='952736' date='Sep 11 2010, 02:18 PM']MB1. :)
...Put an OLP in my hands ,Plug it in,play it,i'd say...."Wanna Buy some Pegs Dave!"[/quote]
Aye I totally PMSL at that too, then folk in the room asked what was so funny and I told them.... *tumbleweed*.... :o

[quote name='mcnach' post='952812' date='Sep 11 2010, 03:27 PM']....
BUt I can tell you, we have no deal, Ou7shined... but for a different reason than you thing :lol:[/quote]
I'm intrigued. :rolleyes:

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='952725' date='Sep 11 2010, 02:06 PM']OK I have kept out of it long enough its been a sh*t week and I have ended up with one less dog :) but im back!
You would not beleive me the OLP was not as good as an EBMM before now will you trust me a bit more that the pre EB is even better again? You should try one out Its not as versatile as a 3 band especially your modded one but for funky stuff it cant be beaten trust me :brow:[/quote]

I don't want to try one... I'm afraid I might like it too much! :o

Played first gig with the Stingray last night. Just an hour long set before the main act. It went down well, and the bass sounded great onstage and out.
I'm a convert. It really has a "presence" I was not getting out of my souped up OLP. Close... but not quite.

HOWEVER...

After the gig I was at the bar and this guy tells me "that was a nice little bass you had there".

[b]"nice little bass"[/b]

!!!

They never said anything like that about my OLP! :P

It made me laugh. He asked me what it was and told him, his face was blank, he said he only knows Fender and Gibson, he used to play long ago. So I explain to him that MusicMan was a company Leo Fender started... and suddenly my "nice little bass" seemed more interesting.
:rolleyes:

Besides, what's little about a Stingray??? Big body, massive sound... :lol:

I'm thinking next proper gig I can play one set with the Stingfray, one set with the Warwick Corvette $$. Head to head. Battle of the big bottom :o
Maybe not.

Edit:
Ah, sorry to hear about your dog :-(
Lost a dear one in March, myself...

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='951973' date='Sep 10 2010, 04:25 PM']I like the sound of that. I'll just go get my abacus and slide rule and I'll be back with a more accurate answer.

Oh it turns out that they are 47.3895 x better. :)

A thought started forming in my mind while typing that rather crap joke....

If I offered you a OLP for your ray (level playing field - both basses have had let's say 3-4 previous owners) Strange condition to the trade, you must keep the bass for 2 years. Would you take it?

If I offered you 2 OLPs for your ray (same conditions) would you shake hands?

How many used OLPs before you trade?

That's the amount right there of how much better they are.[/quote]

That doesn't work, because I have no use for more than a couple OLPs or so unless I'm trying to redecorate my house as if it were the Hard Rock Cafe :rolleyes:

2 OLPs for my Stingray? No. Why would I?
However, if I *needed* to have 2 basses... and I can't afford two Stingrays... I'd be happy selling the Stingray and buying 2 OLPs.

I've gigged with an OLP for some time and never felt it lacking (with my upgrades). The Stingray is superior, something that's not so obvious playing at low volume as it is at gig volume. But OLPs are... "great little basses" ;-) once you take care of the electronics (and excepting the few dogs that are out there... I have tried one OLP that was truly horrible).

Speaking of horrible... the bassist of the main band last night played a Wal with two big humbuckers. It sounded great... but it was a hideous beast to look at. Ugh!

Another rehearsal with the Stingray.

This thing is... enormous. I'm in love :wub:

I gave it to my guitarist to play while I played his guitar for a while... it was nice to hear it "from the outside".

I want a fretless Stingray now. And an SR5! :)

If we get the 5 year contract we're working for... I'm going to take my Visa for a walk...

• 2 weeks later...

Somebody had a videocamera at one of our gigs on Saturday, when I was playing with the Richt Hoat Chillis...

The Stingray continues to make me smile.
I was rushing after having played another gig earlier with Seabass Kid, so I got there just 15min before we were due. Plugged in, quick soundcheck... away we went... Sounded great... although these videos are always kinda bass-poor, but you get the feeling. Hopefully.

[b]Tell me baby[/b]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Deu7JUrEdY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Deu7JUrEdY[/url]

[b]Dani California[/b]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-dUXYVX9SE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-dUXYVX9SE[/url]

The Stingray truly *rawks* :)

Awesome! Loved both clips and you had a better sound than the real band when we saw them at manchester a couple of years ago!

Some people dont get the sound of a Ray or the difference with the real Ray to the lesser versions (I know yours is tricked out a bit but even still) but even on my little laptop speakers I can hear the highs cutting through nice and without that nasty piercing noise you get with the Hi Fi boutique basses trying to recreate it.

Thumbs up from me mate (for the whole band too) :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='969795' date='Sep 27 2010, 06:05 PM']Awesome! Loved both clips and you had a better sound than the real band when we saw them at manchester a couple of years ago!

Some people dont get the sound of a Ray or the difference with the real Ray to the lesser versions (I know yours is tricked out a bit but even still) but even on my little laptop speakers I can hear the highs cutting through nice and without that nasty piercing noise you get with the Hi Fi boutique basses trying to recreate it.

Thumbs up from me mate (for the whole band too) :lol:[/quote]

Thank you for the kind words!

It's a pity that these recordings rarely capture the bass (it was there, believe me! :))

Just got my MM SUB5. A little underwhelmed for now, but I can see the potential. It came with a SD Basslines ceramic pickup and I think I'll like it better when I install the original alnico pickup. This pickup sounds great, but it's not "stingray-like" enough, if you know what I mean. Although that low B sounds immense (it'd better, a 140!)