Why become a member? ×

Chadwick Folding Double Bass for sale

gcordez

[quote name='TPJ' post='949012' date='Sep 8 2010, 12:04 AM']Is there any kind of pick up on it? Also, got any pics? Cheers[/quote]

Heres a couple of shoddy mobile phone photos. Its a lovely looking bass in the flesh. Could fit a Fishman Full Circle for another £100 if wanted/needed...

Heres some more photos of her. Comes with a new set of spiros and a Fishman Full Circle pickup if required.

This bass is great for anyone who travels to gigs/tours etc. It folds down to half its size, can fit in any car now, can fold it down to make public transport a lot easier (tubes/bus/taxis etc), can go on planes and at no extra cost, its tough as nails and certainly good enough to be a primary instrument.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='957883' date='Sep 16 2010, 12:15 AM']It's a lovely looker. My only worry would be that disassembling it regularly would stress the crap out of the strings.[/quote]

Maybe not . I've found strings (good ones) don't mind being "un" tuned, it is a quick trick on a gig (electric bass) if strings sound dull to detune them a few tones, snap them a few times then retune. Seems to brighten them up a bit, enough for the gig. Maybe the longer scale double bass strings would be the same?
What a great idea though as some of the travel basses don't really look that great and this Chadwick seems to have been really well thought through.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='957883' date='Sep 16 2010, 12:15 AM']It's a lovely looker. My only worry would be that disassembling it regularly would stress the crap out of the strings.[/quote]

Steel strings like Spiros are absolutely fine, it takes a good tug on them and about 10-15mins for them to settle into tuning. I used Evah Pirazzi's and they were fine also. Gut and synthetic strings would be a disaster though. The thing is, this bass is good enough as a primary instrument so you could have any strings you wanted on it, as long as you didnt intend to pack it down all the time.

In my opinion and experience, the Spiros were the best sounding strings on this instrument out of the options i tried (oliv, evah, velvet)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...