Why become a member? ×

Little Giant overheats

stevekendal

Just got a S/H Little Giant 350. Makes plenty of noise, but I did notice that there was no sign of a fan working inside. Tonight, towards the end of the gig it cut out, being quite hot and needed to rest a couple of minutes before the power came back on. Do these tiny things actually have a fan inside? Mine was being pushed quite hard and was definitely too hot when it cut out :) . Steve.

[quote name='stevekendal' post='947840' date='Sep 7 2010, 12:42 AM']Just got a S/H Little Giant 350. Makes plenty of noise, but I did notice that there was no sign of a fan working inside. Tonight, towards the end of the gig it cut out, being quite hot and needed to rest a couple of minutes before the power came back on. Do these tiny things actually have a fan inside? Mine was being pushed quite hard and was definitely too hot when it cut out :) . Steve.[/quote]

I’ve been using a Little Giant 1000 for a few months and I think the cooling fan in the top of the amp is wired to a temperature sensor, so that it only kicks in once a certain temperature is reached within the amp. But you should notice the fan operating briefly when you switch the amp on, which will confirm that the fan itself is working. If this happens OK on your amp, then it may be that something else isn’t working correctly, because I’d expect the fan should begin operating long before your amp gets so hot that it cuts out.

As has been said – this definitely sounds like a job for Ashdown’s technical support.

[quote name='Krysbass' post='950497' date='Sep 9 2010, 12:31 PM']I’ve been using a Little Giant 1000 for a few months and I think the cooling fan in the top of the amp is wired to a temperature sensor, so that it only kicks in once a certain temperature is reached within the amp. But you should notice the fan operating briefly when you switch the amp on, which will confirm that the fan itself is working. If this happens OK on your amp, then it may be that something else isn’t working correctly, because I’d expect the fan should begin operating long before your amp gets so hot that it cuts out.

As has been said – this definitely sounds like a job for Ashdown’s technical support.[/quote]

MB1. :)
+Twelety!
Spoke to Guy about this when i first bought my LG1000...He bassically told me the same as Krysbass...The Fan is on a thermostatic switch ...when you initially switch the amp on it spins the fan checking the switch and the circuit.

• 2 weeks later...

Been using the 350 for a while, it is an issue with the 350 series as you need to run them harder than the 1000 watt to get the same sort of volume they over heat quite regularly. My LG has cut out on me twice live, and i'm going to get it replaced as each time i sent it to get fixed it has broken on me again. If your able to plug it up to a pa by the xlr DI on the back then this will be prevented from happening in the first place as you can have it on a low setting on the amp, which wont over heat it, and have a loud volume through the pa!

• 1 month later...

I suppose when you sell thousands of tham you will hear of faults occasionally . Ive never had a problem with mine , although i only use it for home practice , sold my old trace elliot ah200 practice amp , I love the conveniance of a lightweight small amp .... anyway i do notice it is very warm on the base of it after use so ive put some stick on rubber feet which gives it some
" breathing space between the amp and the cab . Great wee amp , ive got the green 350 .

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='makatak' post='1017074' date='Nov 9 2010, 01:18 AM']I suppose when you sell thousands of tham you will hear of faults occasionally . Ive never had a problem with mine , although i only use it for home practice , sold my old trace elliot ah200 practice amp , I love the conveniance of a lightweight small amp .... anyway i do notice it is very warm on the base of it after use so ive put some stick on rubber feet which gives it some
" breathing space between the amp and the cab . Great wee amp , ive got the green 350 .[/quote]

I've also put rubber self-adhesive feet on the underside of my LG1000 as soon as I got it and I did the same with my old Superfly 500 (when I used it without its outer casing). It definitely seems to help matters, as the base of the amp seems to get fairly hot and can use some extra "breathing space". Neither of my amps have ever overheated.

But it raises the point that maybe Ashdown should have included rubber feet with the amps in the first place, as I guess it might not occur to everyone that doing this simple modification is a good idea?

The failure of the LG350's fan to work properly is a common problem with this amp - it's why mine was returned to the retailer with a refund request after it cut out on me. I've also had an LG1000 go up in smoke..............

Good that some people have found a work around by adding feet, but personally I wouldn't have felt comfortable gigging with an amp with a known technical issue.

If it helps, I've heard of a few people attaching clip fans to the top of the amp somehow, & leaving these running all the time to keep the amp cooler.

I eventually started using a computer cooling fan (12 volt) soldered to a plug-in mains transformer with my Superfly to draw the heat out of the vents on the top of the amp. I attached some more of the aforementioned stick-on rubber feet on the fan housing to stop it slipping off the top of the amp. It worked a treat, was wery quiet and caused no RF interference, even with it sitting on top of the amp.

I have to say that before using this fan my Superfly didn't suffer any overheating problems, so I just had the fan as a sort of "safety net" to make sure the amp remained cool, even in the volcanic conditions of mid-summer pub gigs! Reassuringly, when used with the fan, the casing of my Superfly only ever got slightly warm, as opposed to rather hot when used without the fan.

So far, my Little Giant 1000 has been fine - I've always used it with rubber feet attached to the base, gving it about 10mm clearance underneath and it's never got so warm that I've felt it could use any extra cooling. :)