Why become a member? ×

CMI Rickenfaker restoration

Mr. Foxen

Sounds good! Best give the oil a nice long time to dry. I over did a J bass body once, and it took about a week before the oil kept re-appearing in blotches...got there in the end. Thats the great thing about oil finishes - very forgiving and repairable later.

Looking forward to seeing the final results...

Bit of a disaster: Figured now there are a couple of coats of oil on the front, if I skim over it with 1000 grit wet and dry, lubricated with oil/white spirit, it will give more of a shine to it. Hover, it actually filled in the pores with dark grey abrasive. Gah. Gone over with a scourer and white spirit and it hasn't lifted. Am I going to have to block it all down again? Its only a narrow band across the top horn, oil is handy for being able to patch it, but still, far from ideal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='992418' date='Oct 18 2010, 04:42 PM']A day in my Dad's workshop and I have a straightish bridge (shame about the woodwork it goes on being curved), and a brass pickup surround and truss cover. Not sure which I'll be keeping on it. Pics to come.[/quote]

Sounds interesting, I'll put the camera on charge then :)

Put the necessary parts on to string it up, missing a bridge saddle as it is with the chap making them (hit me up if you want brass saddles for your bass that happens to be shaped like this one). I made a brass pickup surround too, but didn't much like the look next to the chrome bridge (working on addressing this) so I stuck the original surround on top, so no finger gap still. Brass is all unpolished, because it fits better with the beat-upness of the bass.

I also made a brass truss cover, although I was a bit overcautious with the leaving space for filing, and it is oversized:

• 2 weeks later...

Bah, new setback, sorting the wiring, realised I had forgotten to replace the earth wire under the bridge. So I unscrew the bridge and two of the screw heads just shear off. Not entirely sure where to go from there. Considering getting it under the pillar drill, drilling them out and putting inserts in, and machine screwing it. Tone transfer.

The switching jack looks like a breaking waiting to happen, so I decided to wire it straight 'stereo', and the tone on the bridge pickup is a bass cut rather than a treble cut,s o it can go to guitar amp and be somewhat adjusted to suit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Heres the blank casting for the uprated bridge, the weak spots are reinforced and it is cast from LM25 aluminium, so it is a whole lot tougher, this is the stuff used for aircraft parts. Next thing is machining the slots and drilling holes, then polishing and finishing. I'm going to do a batch of these, when they are done, info should appear in the affiliates forum.

• 5 weeks later...