Why become a member? ×

Might Be Getting My First DB

ezbass

So me and the Mrs are watching Jamie Callum's Proms gig on the telly and the DB is really nicely mixed. So I make the comment that I really like the sound of a DB which I often mention, but this time the Mrs says she likes it too and thinks thay also look nice as a piece of furniture too. Now we might tut at this comment but, a) she's right and b ) never ignore an opportunity to potentially get a new instrument. So I'm going to pick away at this loose thread she's unravelled and try and get my first DB out of it, however, I do need some help.

First, is there a sticky thread for DB newbies? Second, what do I need to look for in a DB? I'm going to be limited by budget so I'm probably looking at some student, Chinese made model, any suggestions? Does it need to be set up professionally or is this some thing I can do as I'm quite handy? It probably makes no difference to what I can buy, but I love Danny Thompson's tone (I understand that his bass is ancient and therefore very expensive).

Edited by ezbass

Depending on your budget, you could do a lot worse than one of Thomanns own brand basses - the mid range ones are rebadged Strunals IIRC and sound rather nice in my opinion.

The [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_kontrabass_22_02.htm"]22[/url] in particular has got a nice woody tone.

It's also worth keeping an eye on the basses for sale forum - DBs come up fairly regularly. This might be your best option so you'll be able to try a bass before you buy. Essentially, I wouldn't worry too much about brands or materials if you like the feel and sound of a particular bass - go for it.

I wouldn't worry about sounding like Danny Thompson either - someone on here said they actually got to play Danny's bass and they didn't sound one bit like Danny. It's all in the fingers you know....

Having just discovered that LIMS and Music Live have been cancelled for this year :) I'm wondering where I could go to demo some outside of Bass Day (assuming that they'll have some). Stentor are based near me so I'll drop them a line, any other South East suggestions?

There's great info in the db section, as Bilbo says. It can be hard to sort out though.

I bought my first lately, on advice from the good folks here, and a few considerations stood out:

1. All-ply is fine, [u]especially[/u] old ones. A good ply (or hybrid with solid top) can be better than a cheaper all solid.

2. If you're going to busk and have worries about humidity and splitting, go ply.

3. Chinese is probably bad. Czech (like the Thomann 22s, I think) is good.

4. An ebony board is a must. Not 'ebonised'; that's painted.

5. An adjustable bridge is a huge benefit when you're trying to find the right setup for you.

6. Get a lesson before you buy anything. Apart from the playing bit, it'll get you a chance to handle a good bass (your teacher's), and you'll know what to aspire to (even if you won't be able to afford it).

7. Get a lesson. Did I say that?

8. Yes you will need a setup - it's certain that the bass will be improved out of all recognition. DIY is fine when you know what the real thing should be. And it's great to get to know a good luthier.

9. Factor in the £100 for a carbon bow. Everybody says you must learn to bow for the sake of intonation, and they seem to mean it. :)

10. Factor in the cost of a pickup, and a preamp (if your amp isn't a high impedance jobbie.)

11. Factor in £50 for books.

12. If it's rockabilly slapping you're interested in you may need to use different strings. More cost.

12. You won't need a hard case. You will need a soft case.

Mmmm. There's probably more. Lots more. :rolleyes:

With my very limited experinece of having taken the plunge, i guarantee you will not not not regret it :lol:

Edited by fatback

ezb

Surrey is quite a distance from North Oxon but you are welcome to visit me and have a try on my four basses. They are sufficiently different to be able to give you a handle on what to look out for. I also have some amps, preamps etc to demo. I'm not trying to sell anything so no pressure at all. Oh, by the way, I don't teach - Jakesbass is the man for that, and very good he is too.

Help from another noob is excellent thanks fatback.

Doh! If the Mrs had let her openess to a DB slip at the start of the school hols a trip out to Oxon might've been a goer, back to work tomorrow :) I'll still bear your offer in mind though Bassace, thanks.

[quote name='fatback' post='941625' date='Sep 1 2010, 12:28 AM']4. An ebony board is a must. Not 'ebonised'; that's painted.[/quote]

I would disagree with that actually. I played a lovely DB with a rosewood board (not 'ebonised' either, just left au naturel) at the weekend, it sounded excellent. The owner told me he'd once suggested to his luthier that he wanted an ebony board on it once and the luthier asked "Why?".

[quote name='fatback' post='941625' date='Sep 1 2010, 12:28 AM']9. Factor in the £100 for a carbon bow. Everybody says you must learn to bow for the sake of intonation, and they seem to mean it. :)[/quote]

You also might find you just bloody love the sound of the bow and want to use it loads. :rolleyes:

My advice is to remember that you are starting out on a new journey not continuing the old one. THe first bass you have will probably be transitional. When I was looking (earlier this year) the more information I got, the more confused I was because everyone tells you that your technique/string choice/set up/bridge height/end pin all have a MASSIVE effect on your sound. That meant, in my simple world, that any bass I tried wouldn't sound like it could until I had been playing and fiddling with it for years. So, whatever bass I woudl try, I lacked the knowledge and skills to make it sound like it would in 3/6/9/12/24/36 months time. Every make of bass has someone out there saying 'great' and someone else saying 'crap'. Only 1 db player in a 1,000 has the bass they want. Everyone else is compromised by the amount of money they have or don't have.

My advice? Just climb on board and enjoy the ride....

But, yes, do get a lesson first. Jakesbass is in Aldershot and he is a great teacher and totally approachable guy. I owe him a million for getting me started and can only emphasise that he will save you a lot of hassle (and potential pain) in the long run if you go to him [b]before[/b] you buy/start playing.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='942221' date='Sep 1 2010, 03:20 PM']I would disagree with that actually. I played a lovely DB with a rosewood board (not 'ebonised' either, just left au naturel) at the weekend, it sounded excellent. The owner told me he'd once suggested to his luthier that he wanted an ebony board on it once and the luthier asked "Why?".

You also might find you just bloody love the sound of the bow and want to use it loads. :)[/quote]

I think the problem was not so much that it had to be ebony as it had to [u]not [/u] be some kind of dressed up cheapo softwood. I wouldn;t have noticed the difference between the terms 'ebony' and 'ebonised' if i hadn't been warned. Grooving leading to splitting if it gets wet busking, I think was the problem.

+1000 to the sound of the bow biz. First time I heard that sound as the player hears it, I nearly fell over. Couldn't believe how lovely it was.

Edited by fatback

[quote name='Bilbo' post='942237' date='Sep 1 2010, 03:30 PM']My advice? Just climb on board and enjoy the ride....[/quote]I've had some great advice from you guys so far and offers here and by PM to try some gear out, but this one line of Bilbo's maybe the key phrase (taken in context with the stuff he said beforehand). I'll let you know how I get on.

Edited by ezbass