Why become a member? ×

Fender Mike Dirnt

tredders

Despite being relatively GAS free at the moment, I've got a hankering for a Mike Dirnt bass. I missed out on one for sale recently, and as you don't often see them second hand, thought I'd look around for a new one. Thormann are doing the "proper" Fenders for about £550, but I've noticed that the Squier models are a fraction of the cost - £215.

From reading up on both models, the main difference seems to be that the Fender has a Badass II, a custom 59 PUP and vintage tuners. With that in mind, surely I'd be better off buying a Squier and pimping it up a bit? Or am I missing something? Having never owned or played a Squier, I've got no idea of the quality of them, so any advice would be appreciated.

Anyone got experience of these? For info, I'd be using it for typical Greenday type songs, so I'm not too interested in versatility - it'll just be used to bang out punky cover versions on!

Cheers

Tredders

As someone who's tried both (I have the Fender one), buy the Fender!

Try and get a secondhand one if you can (think Old Horse Murphy has one for sale here on BC) as 550 is a bit much new. But they are GREAT basses!!!
I swapped out the pups for SD 1/4lbs, but that's cause I wanted a sound closer to the Mark Hoppus bass (which I later bought anyways).
The stock pickups are great though!

The Squier is pants!
Not dissing Squier in any way at all (am planning on getting a VM Jag soon), they have had some great models lately and their general effort of late has been greatly documented and praised here on BC and other forums!

But the Mike Dirnt Squier is awful-based on both the ones I've tried (both Black and White models). Its lightweight (really lightweight!), the frets were like razors and the pickups were seriously weedy and tinny-couldn't hold a candle to the Fender one IMO.

I honestly don't think trying to mod the Squier model would be a worthwhile enterprise, as the foundations are all wrong to begin with-kinda like the Squier Frank Bello-looks great, plays lousy.

Save a bit and get the Fender, I would suggest.

Though again, this is based solely on my own experiences. I would gladly hear from Squier MD owners who have better things to say about them

I've put mine out on loan for a few seasons (the girl that has it can't part with it :rolleyes: ) But I do miss it around!

I wish the Fender one came in the white finish though!
There's a thought-get the Fender back and refin in oly white :lol:

Hope that helps some man :)

Anyways, I'm off to bed-up early to get a train to Dublin to see Blink 182 tomorrow evening,
Col

Edited by basshead56

Col - thanks for that. Sounds like the Fender is the way to go. I'll get looking!

BurritoBass - I could only see one for sale on here, and it was Old Horse Murphy's, which is now sold. Searching the forum didn't bring up the other one - can you send me a link please? Ta.

Cheers both

Tredders