Why become a member? ×

Bass Retirement

[quote name='Bilbo' post='940797' date='Aug 31 2010, 11:23 AM']I get how this happens (I am not a family man) and everything does get in the way as you get older but that is oneo f the things I always say about reading the dots. It cuts down the need for rehearsals to a minimum whcih means better gigs with less time spent preparing. Keep a bass and use the time off to develop your reading to the point where you are ready to gig again when your kids no longer need you around so much (because that day will come :)).[/quote]

Wise words.

[quote name='farmer61' post='940723' date='Aug 31 2010, 10:17 AM'][b]Snot [/b]then [b]cute[/b] then [b]challenging[/b] then [b]tantrums[/b] then [b]school woes [/b]then [b]nightmare freinds[/b] then [b]boy/girl friends[/b] then [b]clock watching at 11pm[/b] then[b] pissed up kids throwing up[/b] then [b]near fisticuffs [/b]then [b]friendship[/b] then [b]what the feck do I do now [/b]then [b]midlife crisis[/b] then [b]bass[/b]!!!!![/quote]

Yup, we've all been in bands like that....

Bringing up kids is probably quite tiring too.

I have a 14 month old baby plus full time job and I'm finding it hard to practice. It would be easier to just sack it of but fortunatly I met a band where all the musicians are in the same boat. All the covers are really simple so not much practice is required and I still get to do a few gigs every now and again. I think it would be different if it was a regular covers or an originals band, I'd probably jack it all in due to pressure.

Keep a bass, store it our of sight and out of mind and get back to it when and if you feel ready.