Why become a member? ×

Withdrawn: Fender CIJ 51 RI Precision FT

spinynorman

I've got a Fender 51 RI P in Butterscotch Blonde (or yellow as it used to be known), which I'm struggling to love as much as my standard MIJ P. So rather than go through the buying and selling loop, I wonder if anyone would be interested in trading.

It's great to play if you like old school precision necks in maple. It currently has a Seymour Duncan Antiquity single coil pickup, though I still have the Fender orginal. Lots of growl, which doesn't really do it for me, I'm more of a thumper. Control cavity is shielded with copper sheet and I've also fitted a bridge cover, which isn't in the photo. If anyone is seriously interested I'll but up some newer pics.

I'm looking for an MIJ 60s or 70s Reissue Fender, probably P, but might consider a Jazz. Or something else, so long as it has 4 strings, not too thin a neck, frets and is worth somwhere in the region of £400.

I'm in darkest Warwickshire near Stratford, but am quite happy about arranging a courier if necessary.

Here's a pic for starters.

Edited by spinynorman

[quote name='Linus27' post='937996' date='Aug 27 2010, 12:10 PM']What year is the bass as the colour did change? They did a yellow which really was like a lemon yellow and then the more recent was Butterscotch blonde which is more like an orange or butterscotch instant whip.[/quote]

2004-2005 according to guitar dater (and its a CIJ R serial).

Edited by spinynorman

[quote name='GazWills' post='938005' date='Aug 27 2010, 12:22 PM']PM's :)[/quote]

Replied. For the benefit of others interested in the neck profile, the Fender specs say: Thick "C" Shape, Fingerboard Radius: 7.25" Radius (184 mm), Nut Width: 1.625" (41.3 mm).

[quote name='spinynorman' post='938203' date='Aug 27 2010, 03:51 PM']2004-2005 according to guitar dater (and its a CIJ R serial).[/quote]

OK, thanks, I think that would mean its the more Instant Whip Orange Butterscotch colour rather than the lemon yellow.

[quote name='Foxx' post='938731' date='Aug 28 2010, 12:55 PM']Does this have a contoured body or slab sided as per the original, also does the price mentioned only reflect the value of a swap or possible cash sale price?
Thanks[/quote]

It will be slab body. They all were.

[quote name='Linus27' post='939090' date='Aug 28 2010, 10:57 PM']It will be slab body. They all were.[/quote]

Yeh,was just the photo up there looks very rounded compared to the one i used to have, and wish i still had. lol

[quote name='Foxx' post='939124' date='Aug 29 2010, 12:11 AM']Yeh,was just the photo up there looks very rounded compared to the one i used to have, and wish i still had. lol[/quote]

That's my incredible photgraphic skills. Square things made round, round things made square.

So, took it to a gig on Friday as backup, played it on one song and decided there's something up with the SD Antiquity. So I've swapped back the stock Fender pup and now I'm wondering if I want to off it after all. Gonna sleep on it (the decision, not the bass).

• 2 weeks later...

Mr hedgehog, did you come to a decision about this? I have a b'scotch jazz and this would make a nice partner for it, though ideally I'd like a more standard P. Would be a straight sale though, don't have any basses up for grabs in the £400 region at the moment.

[quote name='KevB' post='949454' date='Sep 8 2010, 02:18 PM']Mr hedgehog, did you come to a decision about this? I have a b'scotch jazz and this would make a nice partner for it, though ideally I'd like a more standard P. Would be a straight sale though, don't have any basses up for grabs in the £400 region at the moment.[/quote]

I have, for now at least I'm going to keep it. I don't quite understand why it sounds better now with the stock pickup than it did before when I replaced it, but that's what happened. I'll withdraw it now.

Thanks for all the offers and other interest.