Why become a member? ×

RH450 setting for motown sound help

lojo

With an RH450 and my P bass, I am trying to get closer to the jamerson/babbitt style sound for some live playing

Learning to play is a endless quest, but I wish to focus on the equipment tweaks also

So

Has anyone found any settings for the RH450 which work for this sound, or just general EQ based advise?

I will also post for help in the bass section re the bass itself

Edited by lojo

Definately flats. I'd recommend La Bella 760M for the ultimate fat and furry tone but these are big, thick strings so you may wish to consider La Bella 760FL instead. La Bella's give you that authentic vintage sound like no ther in my book. I'm not sure that I'd agree that the Motown bass sound is all mids... certainly Bob Babbit on Standing In The Shadows of Motown has some deep bottom going on and it sounds great.

Playing lightly with fingers over or in front of the pickup will help get you the round, warm tone. A well setup mute system can work wonders increasing the depth and roundness whilst taking out all the things you don't want.

[quote name='markorbit' post='937116' date='Aug 26 2010, 01:28 PM']Definately flats. I'd recommend La Bella 760M for the ultimate fat and furry tone but these are big, thick strings so you may wish to consider La Bella 760FL instead. La Bella's give you that authentic vintage sound like no ther in my book. I'm not sure that I'd agree that the Motown bass sound is all mids... certainly Bob Babbit on Standing In The Shadows of Motown has some deep bottom going on and it sounds great.[/quote]

Babbit's choice of string for live work is LaBella nickel rounds, and I don't think anyone would complain about his tone. There's very little fundamental bass bass on the old motown recordings, whether on purpose or because they weren't able to record it with the kit they had I've no idea.