Why become a member? ×

Tubes, Valve, Terrors and Maintenance

algmusic

Right,

Bought my first valve amp, (Terror bass). I bought it second hand here and I've been told its was bought in December. It's great and I love it. It's a tube pre/with power amp.

Q1: How long do the tubes last

Q2: Should I carry spares? Where can I get them (live in Greenwich, but in the city a lot)

Q3: Are they easy to change or do I take it to a shop

Q4: any other tube advice to help them last long etc.

I usually gig about 1-3 a week and I always carry a my sansamp as backup. I always put it on standby for about 5-15mins before and after the gig at least.

[quote name='algmusic' post='930025' date='Aug 19 2010, 04:44 PM']Right,

Bought my first valve amp, (Terror bass). I bought it second hand here and I've been told its was bought in December. It's great and I love it. It's a tube pre/with power amp.

Q1: How long do the tubes last

Q2: Should I carry spares? Where can I get them (live in Greenwich, but in the city a lot)

Q3: Are they easy to change or do I take it to a shop

Q4: any other tube advice to help them last long etc.

I usually gig about 1-3 a week and I always carry a my sansamp as backup. I always put it on standby for about 5-15mins before and after the gig at least.[/quote]

Q1. Years and years and years.

Q2. Unlikely to ever need a spare. Watford valves sell them.

Q3. Remove amp cover, twist and remove valve screen, pull out valve, plug in new valve, replace screen, refit cover. Done. very quick and easy. No adjustment necessary.

Q4. Don't worry about it. Tube pre-amps are bullet proof, it's the higher power amps that need TLC.

The 'issues' people have with valve amps i.e. maintaining them, new valves etc, is usually to do with an all-valve pre and power stage. The Terror just has a valve pre-amp so you'll be fine. Pre-amp valves last a lifetime, and you'll most likely only change them if you want to try out different types of gain.

I'm not entirely sure why the Terror has a standby, but as it isn't all-valve, I would imagine it's pretty useless.

That's not to say the Terror is in any way inferior. Great amps, and sounds a lot like my all-valve AD200...just about a third of the price!

Enjoy!