Why become a member? ×

A bit of help required.

Darryll-Profane

Hello there.

I'm sure some of you guys must play Red house in some form or other in your groups so basically I need help trying to understand what the bass is up to. I'm having to cram about 25 songs for a dep I'm doing tomorrow night and of them all this is giving me the most grief. Its hard to determine what the bass is up to on the recording.

I get the changes but can't quite get the register its in but it seems pretty chordal. This must have been Jimi playing bass right?

Anyway thanks in advance.

The bass on Red House is one of the worst on a slow blues, ever! I have had to play this number on many occasions (guitarists have no imagination!!) and just play a straight 12 bar blues bass line. No one has ever mentioned that it is different to the Hendrix version.
If you're learning 25 numbers make it easy and don't bother with the original bass line. It really is crap.

You need to use a walking bassline for [i]Red House[/i]. Assuming you're playing it in the original Bb, try using a slow, descending line from the high Bb on the D string through the first two bars of each stanza before going back up in arpeggio form in the third bar.

Works for me, easy to learn, sounds good.

[quote name='chris_b' post='104446' date='Dec 14 2007, 06:41 PM']The bass on Red House is one of the worst on a slow blues, ever! I have had to play this number on many occasions (guitarists have no imagination!!) and just play a straight 12 bar blues bass line. No one has ever mentioned that it is different to the Hendrix version.
If you're learning 25 numbers make it easy and don't bother with the original bass line. It really is crap.[/quote]

I had thought much the same Chris. It really is a bit of a bugger.

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='104454' date='Dec 14 2007, 06:55 PM']Pretty sure it's Noel? There are a lot of different versions of it, so perhaps you shouldn't be too concerned with total accuracy..? With that in mind, I can tentatively suggest this guitar pro tab [url="http://www.911tabs.com/link/?2231552"]http://www.911tabs.com/link/?2231552[/url][/quote]

Really? I'm quite surprised.

I aint really going for total accuracy man. I should maybe have said that I've had to do this track a bunch of times before and have indeed just played it straight 12 so I'm more just quizzical about what the heck is going on with the original (ie first released Hendrix version). I haven't the patience for Tab but thanks all the same.

• 2 weeks later...