Why become a member? ×

Replacement Amp Suggestions

BigRedX

Unfortunately my lovely sounding Tech Soundsystems Black Cat amp has developed a fault and needs to go away for repair.

The amp that I originally got as a backup (Ashdown Superfly) is far too unreliable plus I don't really like the sound much.

So I'm looking at a suitable amp to get as to tide me over while the Black Cat is being fixed and to use as a general purpose spare. I do have some fairly specific requirements that need to be met:

1. Must be rack mountable without having to bodge it with rack trays. Ideally no more than 2U but definitely no more than 3U.

2. Must be reasonably light. The Black Cat weighs 8kg. I want to still be able to lift and carry the rack on my own with everything in it (Bass Pod XT Pro, Peterson StroboRack, and EMO mains distribution board plus whatever I amp I go for in a Boschma 6U Rack.

3. Must be capable of powering the following speaker combinations:
1 x 8 ohm Cab (the small rig)
2 x 8 ohm Cab (the medium sized rig)
2 x 4 ohm Cab (the big rig)
and needs to be able to output at least 500W RMS into the 2 x 4 ohm rig

4. Must have an effects loop.

5. Must have a tuner out that comes before the effects loop

6. Must have a DI out or line out that comes after the effects loop.

7. Would prefer that the pre-amp was valve powered. I'm not looking for tons over valve overdrive, just a bit of musically pleasing grit.

8. Would prefer that the speaker connections were made with Speakons. I don't think jack sockets are appropriate connectors for high output amps.

9. Must be able to have it in my possession before Saturday 28th August

So far in my search I've found the Genz-Benz Shuttle Max 12.0 and the Hartke Kilo 1000.

Any opinions on either of these amps and any others I should be considering?

How about something like a lightweight Peavey IPR1600 poweramp paired with an appropriate valve preamp (like the Ampeg SVP Shockwave is selling)?

*Edit - looks like that pre doesnt have an effects loop. Maybe a Sansamp RBI?

Edited by Wil

[quote name='Colledge' post='928697' date='Aug 18 2010, 02:54 PM']what about using an amp model from the bass pos straight into a poweramp? ive heard some convincing tones coming from a setup like that, definitely good enough for a backup / temporary fix.[/quote]

OK recommendations for a Poweramp capable of running the speaker combinations I listed please.