Why become a member? ×

sold Roscoe Century Signature VI top spec

nobodysprefect

[i]Edit: In order to move things along, I'm asking 1550 quid until the end of this week.[/i]

I'm putting this up for trade now, possibly for direct sale later, as this wood combo is not my favourite Roscoe combo with my rig.[I play a Read Purity pre-amp (VERY flat) and ACME cabs (Again, very flat)] And I'm reluctant to change that, as the rig works so well for the URB and electrics.

This bass has it all: slick playability, very good balance, looks and most of all, monstrous tone. Very even balance between strings - depending on the set, of course: .120 and .135 B strings will of course be quite different! The Roscoe B-string has to be the best out there at 35". The Dingwall B at 37" and fanned frets is comparable, but nothing else I've had (and I've had most of the big name basses) has a B-string that can take on Roscoe in feel and clarity. This bass allows for an appallingly low action.

The Roscoe tone is well-documented in our very own Roscoe sub-forum. This bass has even more clarity and punch than my SKBs had. The tone is even and full throughout the spectrum. The bass is now equipped with Roscoe Bartolinis (as per the original spec) and a Glockenklang pre-amp.

Highlights:
* single piece exhibition grade walnut body. Check out the grain and flames! (no idea if this is even doable - would require a pretty special piece of wood to make a body out of it, methinks)
* Wenge wedge neck. Extremely stabile, very flat front-to-back, sustains like a mofo! The yellowheart laminates are a really nice touch!
To put some data on this one:
width @ saddle 55 mm
width @ 12th fret 79 mm
depth @ 1st fret 21 mm
depth @12th fret 23 mm
I dare anyone to find an easier playing, as stable and nice sounding neck on a sixer.
* Nice Bird's Eye Maple fretboard!

Of course, there's a low point, too: I sold the BEM knobs and the only replacements I had on hand are gunmetal gray. They do NOT fit the bass, see photos with BEM knobs. The good news is thgknobs.com sells BEM knobs at a low, low cost of $18.50 apiece. The Bartolinis are quite possibly impossible to cover with wood, and would be a custom job. The headstock volute had a blemish when I got this bass, and the below-zero temps this last winter made the finish crack in the side, as can be seen in the photos.

[url="http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/tt342/prkl0405/CSVI/"]Here is my full photobucket album[/url]

What I'm looking for:
* six-strings: MTD? Skjold? Roscoe Century ash/myrtle with a thin neck? Smiths? Probably forgetting something here. Sei, GB, Overwater and Shuker, of course!
* five-strings: MTD 535
* any number of strings: cash + and easy sale item - doesn't need to be a string instrument, even!

Cash price? I'd like to think this bass is worth 2000 pounds, which is a little less than I shelled out for it.

I've found a good deal for the right mixing desk for a lucrative project and I'd need to free some of my tied-up music money.

The knobs from THG will cost about 50 pounds, depending on the options chosen. Since the range of options they offer is extremely wide, I'll not make the decision for the prospective new owner - will he want maple knobs, as pictured below, or maybe ebony or afzelia? Domed, flat, skirted, with lines on top or side or both? A dot inlay? The Glockenklang preamp is easily worth twice the Aguilar OBP and is imo a huge improvement. Many serious Roscoeheads consider Roscoe barts + Glock and Classic barts + Demeter to be the sweetest combos, so I'd like to think the buyer will get their money's worth in the current configuration.

Serial number is 5629. Gard says this bass should be about $6500 MSRP, to give you an idea what sort of even trades I'm looking for. Comes with frankly quite excellent Incase hard gig bag. It has some stiff plates sewn in and has very, very, good shoulder straps and handles. Best gig bag I've ever had!

Edited by nobody's prefect

Quick update:

I've had a trade offer and a cash offer - but the former national Post has gone totally mercenary and shipping this to USA at sensible cost (350 pounds anyone?) will require re-routing in Sweden so I'd prefer to ship to a European guy - besides, that'd tweak the noses of yanks!

Now would be the time to make an offer, either cash or some trade of money + stuff or just stuff the worst I can say is 'no.' Hopping over to Sweden to ship this is not #1 on my wishlist.

All right, I just took a little time to fiddle with the pre-amp and I must say that while generally the glock goes well with Roscoe barts, this bass has 'the sound' when in passive mode. I'm still debating selling this but am starting to lean towards keeping this and changing the electronics around. In fact, the recorded tone with the Aguilar pre-amp was more to my liking! I'm lowering the price of the Overwater until the end of this week so's I can keep this around and get that one-off bass I want.