Why become a member? ×

Uprising sound

slazman

I don't normally do pedals but I am looking for the Muse Uprising sound from my Ric 4003/LMII/Schroeder 1212L

Anyone got thoughts on what sort of pedal can help me achieve this? I have been trawling through the site and got lots of good pedal advice and googling extensively so am guessing overdrive - but some personal feedback may be the best direct route to get ananswer.

Muse forum suggests M181 Bass Blow Tourch, Harmonix Bass Big Muff. Also a guy on YouTube with Digitech Synth Wah + Muff

Edited by slazman

[quote name='slazman' post='923473' date='Aug 13 2010, 08:05 AM']I don't normally do pedals but I am looking for the Muse Uprising sound from my Ric 4003/LMII/Schroeder 1212L

Anyone got thoughts on what sort of pedal can help me achieve this? I have been trawling through the site and got lots of good pedal advice and googling extensively so am guessing overdrive - but some personal feedback may be the best direct route to get ananswer.

Muse forum suggests M181 Bass Blow Tourch, Harmonix Bass Big Muff. Also a guy on YouTube with Digitech Synth Wah + Muff[/quote]

Hey,

Basically you're looking for a very Synthy Fuzz sound. The Blowtorch would probably do a very good job, although I haven't used it myself.

Anyway, when I play it I do indeed use a Bass Big Muff, sounds pretty great, bit of a go to for most Muse songs for me. I then either combine it with my OC-3 for a little octave down to make it sound even bigger, or my Korg G5 to add a pretty aggressive synthy fuzz. To be fair I can get the sound just using my G5.

Realistically I think you can get a great approximation using the Bass Big Muff, or a Russian Muff for that matter, either with the Bass Boost or the Dry Blend switched on, make sure to push the gain a fair deal. If you still want to make it bigger, slab an octaver in your chain before the Muff, but it's not totally necessary. I just dial in a little octave, still keep most of my clean signal, but it really beefs things up.

Hope that was some help!

EDIT: Check this guy out on Yooootoob - [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAMFG0xV3PE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAMFG0xV3PE[/url]
He's using an EHX MicroSynth for his main Synthy Fuzz sound and then adds a SansAmp Bass Driver on the end for a little more grit and eq. Not a bad go at the sound.

Edited by EskimoBassist

I use my Turbo Rat, Mastotron, oc-2 set to full direct and abour half oct-1, and my Groove Regulator. Sounds pretty much dead on to me. Although to do it really properly you'll need a Low Pass Filter with an expression pedal for the pre-chorusy bits, but to be honest I doubt anyone will notice.

• 2 weeks later...

For a single-pedal solution the MXR Blowtorch would be a good call, but it's a pisser of a pedal because it needs an 18v supply. I suppose if it's the only pedal you'll ever use then that won't matter, but more likely it will become the only 18v pedal in your arsenal of 9v pedals and it will quickly come to piss you off. A shame because it is a very, very versatile bass distortion. It never gets into insane-o-fuzz territory but there are a lot of useful sounds you can get out of it.

Personally I would use an analogue octaver like an OC-2, feeding into a Russian Muff or similar (preferably a Wren & Cuff Pickle Pie B ), but you will quickly notice the limitations of a Muff-like fuzz if you're playing music like this. It'll be good for this Muse tune but not most.

Edited by thisnameistaken

To get this sound I typically run an octaver into a fuzz (in my case Aguilar Octamizer into a Swollen Pickle clone) and then I use my Subdecay Prometheus in envelope mode, turn the depth all the way down and then use the freq knob to select a frequency range. It helps tune the sound into that one particular frequency where you get the sharp cutting synth sound throughout the whole range of the bass. Bear in mind I have the Octamizer before my X-Blender, and the fuzz and filter in it, so I'm effectively blending Clean+Octamizer with Octamizer>Fuzz>Filter.