Why become a member? ×

Technique.

DreadAlert

Hey guys.
I'm kinda new to bass and I've been learning some well known songs: Cosmic Girl, Come As You Are, etc.
But as I find faster songs, or more complex songs, my fingers can't keep up with the playing.

My problem is that I spend to long on each string, what's a good way to get a good sound of the string quickly?

And also I'm having problems with slap bass. Does anyone have any advice for me to help me get a good slap bass sound technique wise?

Give me any technique advice you can spare, anything helps. :)

Thanks
-DreadAlert-

[quote name='DreadAlert' post='923269' date='Aug 12 2010, 10:03 PM']My problem is that I spend to long on each string, what's a good way to get a good sound of the string quickly?[/quote]

Sorry,but I'm kind of confused about what you mean by staying on the string too long?

[quote name='Doddy' post='923273' date='Aug 12 2010, 10:10 PM']Sorry,but I'm kind of confused about what you mean by staying on the string too long?[/quote]

I mean like... I find it hard to just hit the string and move on quickly, my fingers kinda get stuck on the string like I'm pulling on the string a bit before letting it go.

Right ok. You don't need to hit the string really hard or to pull on it,in fact you'll get a better tone if you don't. Try to
lighten your touch and turn the amp up to compensate.
Just take it nice and steady and practise crossing strings using alternating fingers- two octave major scales are always good for that.
Make sure you are doing it accurately and eventually you will notice that you will be able to up the tempo comfortably. Don't try to
push it too soon. Speed will naturally develop over time.

-------------------------------1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-----------------------------------------------
---------------------1-2-3-4---------------------5-4-3-2--------------------------------------
-----------1-2-3-4----------------------------------------5-4-3-2------------------- 3---
-1-2-3-4------------------------------------------------------------5-4-3-2-3-4-5-6----

Exercises like that are amazing for technique. Just go up and down the neck playing to a metronome and you'll see the effects. You can also make variants of the exercise to make it more difficult.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='michael-faces' post='923446' date='Aug 13 2010, 05:30 AM']-------------------------------1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-----------------------------------------------
---------------------1-2-3-4---------------------5-4-3-2--------------------------------------
-----------1-2-3-4----------------------------------------5-4-3-2------------------- 3---
-1-2-3-4------------------------------------------------------------5-4-3-2-3-4-5-6----

Exercises like that are amazing for technique. Just go up and down the neck playing to a metronome and you'll see the effects. You can also make variants of the exercise to make it more difficult.[/quote]

I'm getting, I believe, benefit from the similar exercises in Bass Guitar for Dummies. Instead of going -1-2-3-4- the exercise cycles through all permutations. It also starts from the G on the low E string. So, the first time through, I go:

------------------------------3-4-5-6--
---------------------3-4-5-6-----------
-----------3-4-5-6---------------------
-3-4-5-6-------------------------------

Then, the next time through, it's:

------------------------------3-4-6-5--
---------------------3-4-6-5-----------
-----------3-4-6-5---------------------
-3-4-6-5-------------------------------

the exercise continues through all the permutations, 3-5-4-6, 3-5-6-4, 4-3-5-6, all the way through to -6-5-4-3-. I don't go both up and down the strings as the reverse form for any pattern is present somewhere else in the permutations, and the exercise takes long enough as it is. The author recommends this as a warm up, even after you've learned it.

At first I was p'd off as I found each new permutation confusing as I couldn't quite remember where my fingers were going, but it's getting much easier now.

Try not to do things 'quickly', but rather start of slow and build up speed gradually. Scales are a great way to build technique and speed when applied slowly to start with. Above all practice, practice and practice. And if that doesn't work practice some more.

Good luck.

Yeah those kind of exercises are amazing as long as you start off slow and perfect it before you speed up. A metronome is great for this. If you do as many patterns as you can (different stuff like each note being on a different string, legato, using three fingers with your right hand), you can develop so many different techniques. Also, if you make as many patterns as you can, you should easily be able to do anything that crops up in a song.

Edited by michael-faces

[quote name='zero9' post='935908' date='Aug 25 2010, 01:17 PM']Try not to do things 'quickly', but rather start of slow and build up speed gradually. Scales are a great way to build technique and speed when applied slowly to start with. Above all practice, practice and practice. And if that doesn't work practice some more.

Good luck.[/quote]

So....Basically what I said two weeks ago :rolleyes: :)

[quote name='michael-faces' post='923446' date='Aug 13 2010, 05:30 AM']-------------------------------1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-----------------------------------------------

Exercises like that are amazing for technique. Just go up and down the neck playing to a metronome and you'll see the effects. You can also make variants of the exercise to make it more difficult.[/quote]

These are great for building technique, but don't do them from the 1st fret!

I'll let Dave explain:

[quote name='Doddy' post='923287' date='Aug 12 2010, 10:25 PM']Right ok. You don't need to hit the string really hard or to pull on it,in fact you'll get a better tone if you don't. Try to
lighten your touch and turn the amp up to compensate.
Just take it nice and steady and practise crossing strings using alternating fingers- two octave major scales are always good for that.
Make sure you are doing it accurately and eventually you will notice that you will be able to up the tempo comfortably. Don't try to
push it too soon. Speed will naturally develop over time.[/quote]

What he said :)

I'd definitely say practise scales whilst working on your technique, this way you kill (at least) two birds with one stone by bettering your technique and improving your knowledge of the fretboard.