Why become a member? ×

My First Ever Walking Bass Line - Improvised with my band.

xilddx

OK, so Kit wants to do a cover of Chop Suey! by System of a Down (I've never heard the original), and in rehearsal on Monday she played us her piano and vocal rendition of it and wanted to know what me and Oli, the drummer, thought we could do with it. I thought some of it sounded perfect for a sort of cod-jazz burnout. So I steeled myself to improvise some walking bass for the first time. It's over a descending chromatic run staring on C# and ending in G.

Now, I'd never really played walking bass before, I have very little theory and I can't sightread. So I improvised by ear based on what I heard in my head over the chord sequence. I probably hit about 50% of the notes I was thinking of but I was in the ballpark. It's really hard to do!

Even though I don't really dig on jazz, I have always admired the jazz cats for their amazing ability to improvise while knowing exactly what they are doing theoretically. I have pretty much NO IDEA what I'm doing.

I thought what I did sounded ok and I got a real buzz playing it! But I don't have jazz ears.

So, calling all jazz cats, how did I do? Indeed, what [i]am [/i]I actually doing?! Is it childish and unsophisticated? Full of technical error? Should I be quite pleased with myself? Or am I deluded?

Thank you :)

Here are the two clips - 1 is the first section of the song, and 2 is the last section of the song. I like the second one best, more energy and confidence.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='Bilbo' post='922615' date='Aug 12 2010, 12:37 PM']I can't play files in work so can't comment yet but am I eager to hear this?!!! (I also quite like what SoaD I have heard so that's a good start)[/quote]
Cool :) Thanks Bilbo! I am just as eager for your comments!

It's half a minute long, the intro verse to the song, no vocal, just piano, guitar, bass and drums.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' post='922590' date='Aug 12 2010, 12:21 PM']OK, so Kit wants to do a cover of Self-Righteous Suicide by System of a Down (I've never heard the original)[/quote]
Like Bilbo, I'll give it a listen later (not that I'm a "cat" by any definition :rolleyes: )... but I'm assuming it's actually "Chop Suey!" by SoaD. The phrase "self-righteous suicide" features in the chorus, but it's not the song title.

Right. That's my pedantry done for the day. :)

[Unless they actually [i]did[/i] do a song with that name... but Google hasn't turned it up.]

[quote name='silddx' post='922590' date='Aug 12 2010, 12:21 PM']I thought what I did sounded ok and I got a real buzz playing it! But I don't have jazz ears.

So, calling all jazz cats, how did I do? Indeed, what [i]am [/i]I actually doing?! Is it childish and unsophisticated? Full of technical error? Should I be quite pleased with myself? Or am I deluded?

Thank you :lol:[/quote]
I'm no real judge but it sounded fine to me. I'm in a similar position - almost no theoretical knowledge, can't read, and I'm often trying this sort of thing out with varying degrees of errr... success. :rolleyes:

Well I've taken the plunge and had my first bass lesson in over 30 years' playing (on and off - more off than on). The way music was taught at school really put me off - BUT..... OutToPlayJazz has shown me that there is nothing to be scared of. I managed some stave and finger position reading and came away with lots of exercises to get the correct fingering for differing neck positions - something I was basically unaware of :) It looks like the bass stave can be your friend.

The aim is to be able to play more intelligently because I know [i][b]why[/b][/i] I'm making the choices I do, rather then relying on trial and error and gradual osmosis from what appears to work. Get some lessons in - it's a real short cut to the osmosis method!

A converted sceptic.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='922651' date='Aug 12 2010, 12:57 PM']Like Bilbo, I'll give it a listen later (not that I'm a "cat" by any definition :rolleyes: )... but I'm assuming it's actually "Chop Suey!" by SoaD. The phrase "self-righteous suicide" features in the chorus, but it's not the song title.

Right. That's my pedantry done for the day. :)

[Unless they actually [i]did[/i] do a song with that name... but Google hasn't turned it up.][/quote]
Dude, you are quite correct! I thought Chop Suey was the name of the album.

Cheers.

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='922662' date='Aug 12 2010, 01:02 PM']I'm no real judge but it sounded fine to me. I'm in a similar position - almost no theoretical knowledge, can't read, and I'm often trying this sort of thing out with varying degrees of errr... success. :rolleyes:

Well I've taken the plunge and had my first bass lesson in over 30 years' playing (on and off - more off than on). The way music was taught at school really put me off - BUT..... OutToPlayJazz has shown me that there is nothing to be scared of. I managed some stave and finger position reading and came away with lots of exercises to get the correct fingering for differing neck positions - something I was basically unaware of :) It looks like the bass stave can be your friend.

The aim is to be able to play more intelligently because I know [i][b]why[/b][/i] I'm making the choices I do, rather then relying on trial and error and gradual osmosis from what appears to work. Get some lessons in - it's a real short cut to the osmosis method!

A converted sceptic.[/quote]
I'm with you there, brother!

EDIT: I think you mean "skeptic" though :lol:

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' post='922590' date='Aug 12 2010, 12:21 PM']OK, so Kit wants to do a cover of Chop Suey! by System of a Down (I've never heard the original), and in rehearsal on Monday she played us her piano and vocal rendition of it and wanted to know what me and Oli, the drummer, thought we could do with it. I thought some of it sounded perfect for a sort of cod-jazz burnout. So I steeled myself to improvise some walking bass for the first time. It's over a descending chromatic run staring on C# and ending in G.

Now, I'd never really played walking bass before, I have very little theory and I can't sightread. So I improvised by ear based on what I heard in my head over the chord sequence. I probably hit about 50% of the notes I was thinking of but I was in the ballpark. It's really hard to do!

Even though I don't really dig on jazz, I have always admired the jazz cats for their amazing ability to improvise while knowing exactly what they are doing theoretically. I have pretty much NO IDEA what I'm doing.

I thought what I did sounded ok and I got a real buzz playing it! But I don't have jazz ears.

Thank you :)[/quote]
Nigel, I'm no jazz cat but I think you should be pleased with yourself (especially if that's your first time). I'd only say to remember that it doesn't always have to be four equal notes, you can adjust the phrasing to adjust the emphasis and so make it talk more at least some of the time - if that makes any sense. :rolleyes:

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='923297' date='Aug 12 2010, 10:34 PM']Nigel, I'm no jazz cat but I think you should be pleased with yourself (especially if that's your first time). I'd only say to remember that it doesn't always have to be four equal notes, you can adjust the phrasing to adjust the emphasis and so make it talk more at least some of the time - if that makes any sense. :)[/quote]
No, I agree wholeheartedly, mate!

I've attached another clip from the last walking section of that recording where I'm doing a few things like that. I wanted to start off simpler and add those things at the end.

BTW it was recorded on a ZOOM H2 if you're thinking of getting one.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='923297' date='Aug 12 2010, 10:34 PM']Nigel, I'm no jazz cat but I think you should be pleased with yourself (especially if that's your first time). I'd only say to remember that it doesn't always have to be four equal notes, you can adjust the phrasing to adjust the emphasis and so make it talk more at least some of the time - if that makes any sense. :)[/quote]

+1
Hey Nigel

I had a listen and what you're doing sounds good my only suggestion - and this is something I had to learn early on when learning about jazz - was that you don't start a tune playing all quarter notes like on the first melody or 'head' in a standard you can just sustain a root note on the one of each bar, or play two in the bar on the 1 and 3. If you do the later and double it to quarter notes every other bar your lines will breath a bit more, but aside from that keep it simple and from the sound of it you've got the idea of using chromatic lines, root, fifth and octaves. I also thought you were pushing the time a little hard, I find it quite hard to play behind the beat too, but try experimenting with a more laid back feel but the most important thing is to work with your drummer and push or pull depending what they do. A nice thing is to practice is just groovng a walking line with your drummer and getting a really swinging groove going together... hope all that helps.

Sounds good overall though :rolleyes:

[quote name='urb' post='923456' date='Aug 13 2010, 07:27 AM']+1
Hey Nigel

I had a listen and what you're doing sounds good my only suggestion - and this is something I had to learn early on when learning about jazz - was that you don't start a tune playing all quarter notes like on the first melody or 'head' in a standard you can just sustain a root note on the one of each bar, or play two in the bar on the 1 and 3. If you do the later and double it to quarter notes every other bar your lines will breath a bit more, but aside from that keep it simple and from the sound of it you've got the idea of using chromatic lines, root, fifth and octaves. I also thought you were pushing the time a little hard, I find it quite hard to play behind the beat too, but try experimenting with a more laid back feel but the most important thing is to work with your drummer and push or pull depending what they do. A nice thing is to practice is just groovng a walking line with your drummer and getting a really swinging groove going together... hope all that helps.

Sounds good overall though :)[/quote]
Thanks mate!

It's a cover of a very heavy tune by System of a Down andI sort of wanted an exciting "rock" version, so it's sort of a pastiche of the real thing. The walking sections are very short so I wanted to establish that feel immediately, if I was trying to actually play a walking jazz piece for five minutes I completely agree I should start slowly and build up to quarter and eighth notes.

It does feel a bit pushy doesn't it.

Thanks again, Mike.