Why become a member? ×

WITHDRAWN SWR WORKINGMANS TWELVE combo - £175

martin8708

I am selling my SWR Workingmans 12 combo due to the fact that I have accumulated too many amps and running out of space . I bought this amp from new for £450 from Mansons in Exeter in 1994 , which was a lot of money ,back then.
Yes , I know it is 16 years old , but it is one of the original Californian amps built by hand by Steven Rabe and his team . We all know Fender aquired SWR later on and shifted production to the East .
I play in a Duo with an Acoustic Guitarist , so I am not a thrasher of gear , I look after all my stuff meticulously and still have the original receipt , owners manual + warranty form .
The amp has been serviced by the Trace Elliot engineers recently , mainly to try and eliminate speaker pop when the amp is switched off , which they have partially cured , provided the volume is turned down to zero .
The sound is great , very clear + transparent with the Custom 12 inch Celestion speaker and you can plug in another 8ohm extention cabinet for more volume .
The amp is great for rehearsal and small intimate gigs , and can be DI'd through PA for more volume
I figure just over 1/3 of the purchase price is a fair price .
I live on the Isle of Wight , but I am happy to bring the amp over to Southampton, Portsmouth or Lymington .
Thanks for looking .
Martin.

20/08/2010 Sale of amp withdrawn , after checking all functions , speaker pop seems to be worse , so not suitable for sale at the moment . Apologies for any time wasted .
Thanks , Martin.

Edited by martin8708

Great amps these. Used to have this version myself - sold it too cheap years ago. Bought the newer fender-era version more recently. It's not at all bad (and a little bit more handsome - no shelf), but this version has the edge. Should go pretty quickly - well worth that money!

[quote name='fdavidso' post='921639' date='Aug 11 2010, 02:23 PM']Hi Martin,
Does it have any sockets round the back? Also, would you be willing to post?[/quote]
Hi there , yes I am willing to post , I am going to box it up and get some quotes .
Controls round the back are : Extention speaker Socket
Stereo headphone Socket
Effects send and receive Socket
Horn on/off switch and headphone switch
Many thanks for your interest .
Martin.

Edited by martin8708

[quote name='martin8708' post='922108' date='Aug 11 2010, 10:48 PM']Hi there , yes I am willing to post , I am going to box it up and get some quotes .
Controls round the back are : Extention speaker Socket
Stereo headphone Socket
Effects send and receive Socket
Horn on/off switch and headphone switch
Many thanks for your interest .
Martin.[/quote]

Thanks,
Any idea of postage costs yet Martin? How heavy is that brute?

Dyce

[quote name='fdavidso' post='924527' date='Aug 13 2010, 11:34 PM']Thanks,
Any idea of postage costs yet Martin? How heavy is that brute?

Dyce[/quote]
Hi there , Have not had chance to get to the post office yet , but it weighs 21kg on the missus bathroom scales ( I cannot vouch for them being 100% accurate , though ) and according to weight + dimensions on Parcelforce website your looking at £32,50 Postage in mainland UK .
If my day off work is not cancelled ( yet again ) to staff illness , I will pop down the Post Office for a proper quote .
Thanks , Martin.

Just trying to help, but do NOT send an amp with Parcelforce. Expensive, unreliable and highly likely to damage it in transit.

www.interparcel.com and use Interparcel Economy (UPS). Cheaper, safer and you don't even need to leave the house.