Why become a member? ×

Celinder J Update 4 - Sold pending usual stuff :)

molan

So - we hit day 4 of the big clear out & the basses available are getting tastier by the day :)

Here is a simply delicious Celinder J Update with the, very desirable Greengrove pre-amp & Chris Celinder's pickups and hardware.

I bought this as a back up to my 'reference' trans red J Update and, if anything, it's maybe even nicer in some regards :lol:

It's much lighter than my red one (maybe 9.5lbs) and just a shade sweeter sounding. The pre-amp is a Greengrove with active bass cut & boost and a lovely passive treble roll off. It's an older version of the pre & doesn't have the dip-switch options internally - I genuinely don't think it's any the worse for this, I can't even hear the differences with the dip switches whenever I've tried to flip them back & forth, lol.

I love these passive treble controls (called VTC by Sadowskyif that helps as a reference). I tend to set them to sit bang in the middle of their range and then just gently tweak them up or down depending on what works best for each song or maybe subtle room characteristics. One of my very favourite pickup / pre-amp combinations.

Celinders really are my all round favourite J basses and, despite selling a few basses I will absolutely keep one or the other. My current preference is for the red one but this is purely aesthetic as I'm a sucker for red basses - it's about 10.5lbs so too heavy for me to gig with really.

There's been quite a lot of stuff to read about Celinders here so I won't waffle on any further - suffice to say that the necks are gorgeous & everything about them feels just 'right' :rolleyes:

Very tough to find a new one now and these recent ones with the really nice trans finishes over Danish ash are, in my opinion, by far the nicest looking ones.

This one is currently sitting up with Phil at BassGear in Harrogate if anyone wants to try it out :lol:

I've priced it at the cost I paid a few months back (imported from a very nice guy in Canada) but I know the market is tough so I will listen to offers or maybe a PX with a decent amount of cash my way. Happy to ship anywhere really. . .

Edited by molan