Why become a member? ×

Rickenbackers

odub

So I tried a Rickenbacker out in the Bass Cellar this weekend, and I'd like to know whats the deal with them.

Why are the older models so highly valued? Are the brand new ones that much worse? I think there were two in there, both very bad condition (one with replaced pickup) for 1300 and 1600 and to me they didn't play or sound any better than say my G&L. Is it market sentiment?

A good question.

I have 3 and I obviously like them.

For me it's 80% about the tone, that I love. Ric tone is not just a 'one trick pony' either but it's certainly not an ultra versatile do everything well bass. I love the nasal, clanky treble especially the way it sits in with the neck pickup as opposed to by itself.

The build quality is good, sustain also. There's something about the whole '50's American car design' about them and the fact that they've changed so little but still do their job so well.

They take a little effort in terms of they're not maybe the easiest basses to play but I find myself picking mine up as my favourite 4 string everytime. (ACG being my preferred 5)

My 4003 has the Vintage Tone Control and I wouldn't be interested in a modern 4003 without it, although it can be retrofitted.

My two 4001's are C series basses and so have that vintage sound too.

Why are they so expensive? They are made in the US with US electronics in a small family firm. As to the price of the older models, you could ask the same question in relation to say Fender or Gibson basses.

Idiosyncratic yes and I understand why not everyone likes them but mine keep shouting 'pick me up, play me' which is great.

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

Arguably the more recent Ricks are better-made, or at least more reliable. Original 4001s have a really weird truss rod system - many old necks & sets of rods got ruined through being wrongly adjusted - the neck has to be literally bent to the required position & the rods tightened to hold it in place. The current 4003 has a more conventional, stronger neck & truss setup, and is more suited to roundwound strings than its predecessor.

For me, I just think it's an amazing looking, and such an evocative, distinctive-sounding bass. The 60s/early 70s 4001, with full-width crushed pearl inlays, toaster pickup & checked binding is utterly gorgeous, particularly in mapleglo or age-darkened fireglo. :wub:

Jon.

+1 to both GreeneKing and Bassassin. I have two Rickys (1983 JetGlo 4003 and 1974 MapleGlo 4001 Fretless) and they are just great basses to play ... if you like them!

You're asking two different questions, odub, playability and value.

I find Rickys totally playable and a truly viable alternative to MIA Fenders, MIJ Fenders, MIM Fenders, Fender clones, and Fender copies. The sound is every bit as distinctive as a Jazz, the look is simply unique, and the build quality on any vintage Ricky (which has survived this long) will be unbeatable.

As to value, Rickys have always been handmade (or pretty much so) in one factory, which has been owned & run by the same family for the last 50 years. The brand has never been devalued, the marque never sold to a multi-media empire, production never handed over to computer-controlled machinery in Korea. Numbers have always been relatively limited, and prices kept high.

The inevitable result is that resale prices also remain high, you're far more likely to get (most of) your money back when you sell, and once a Ricky attains vintage status it's almost certain to increase in value.

Lexus make fine cars and make them well, but their value plummets as you drive them out of the show-room. The equivalent BMW may cost a bit more, but it's a better investment.