Why become a member? ×

Opportunity to buy Gewa fully carved bass

BigBeatNut

I've just seen a Gewa fully carved bass for sale. Allegedly a german one, though apparently its a german brand that imports some of it's products from China.

Comes complete with gigbag (sounds like a substantial one) and a pickup (allegedly a £300 one, though I've no idea of brand). Seems in pretty good nick, though the edges of the front and back table show a little wear where it's been laid on it's side. Sounded nice, and loudish, to me (on the quick play I've had so far), but I don't have a quality bass to compare it to so could be wrong on both those.

Question 1) Is this a reasonable "my first carved bass" ? Or more likely to be a waste of money ?

Question 2) What do you think I should be paying for such a package ?

Thanks, Andy

Edited by BigBeatNut

Just found out that the bass was allegedly bought in Germany for 2,500 Euros, and sold by the player at the end of the tour because he didn't want to transport it home.

I still have no idea if it's Chinese or German made.

However, it's looking a bit less like the bargain I thought it was, since the neck has cracks in 3 places, all of them well-repaired.

I'd still welcome anyone's views on this bass.

sounds like rubbish to me - thomann do some great carved basses new for £850 ish (33 model) To be honest you'll probably be better of with a 60's - 80s ply bass anyway if you're going gigging as they're far more stable and robust.

Bilbo got an excellent fully carved bass that looks the mutts nuts for just over £1000 from gedo-musik as well so unless a) you know the repairs are superbly and professionally done b ) you really fancy a Gewa, I'd avoid it - I'd certainly want to play it for a long while to make sure I liked it

Just my sunday "I'm feeling brutal tonight" opinion! :)

Bob

Edited by bob_pickard

Glad that my post on my bass has proven useful.

I am increasingly happy with the bass. As my technique settles in and I am starting to find things coming a little easier, I am finding that the bass' potential reveals itself more and more. The build quality is pretty good for the money; I am particularly happy with the end-pin and the machine heads (are they called that on a db?) but the whole thing feels robust and fit for purpose. With the new Evah strings, it sounds better and better as my hands get comfortable with the wider neck (watch that l/h thumb folks).

[quote name='Bilbo' post='913561' date='Aug 3 2010, 10:03 AM']I am increasingly happy with the bass. As my technique settles in and I am starting to find things coming a little easier, I am finding that the bass' potential reveals itself more and more. The build quality is pretty good for the money; I am particularly happy with the end-pin and the machine heads (are they called that on a db?) but the whole thing feels robust and fit for purpose. With the new Evah strings, it sounds better and better as my hands get comfortable with the wider neck (watch that l/h thumb folks).[/quote]
How did you decide on the setup that you wanted ? Were you playing an EUB or DB already ?

It's one of the things that make me hesitate over buying, most particularly buying new. I'm sure that as I settle down with a new bass I'll want action changing, and of course action going up (sure to happen as I get increasingly comfortable with an upright neck) will mean a new bridge. Or an adjustable one in the first place.

It's stuff like this that's making me think I should carry on with my EUB a bit (that's got a tilt neck) before taking the plunge with (say) a Gedo.

Andy

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='913891' date='Aug 3 2010, 02:22 PM']How did you decide on the setup that you wanted ? Were you playing an EUB or DB already ?

It's one of the things that make me hesitate over buying, most particularly buying new. I'm sure that as I settle down with a new bass I'll want action changing, and of course action going up (sure to happen as I get increasingly comfortable with an upright neck) will mean a new bridge. Or an adjustable one in the first place.

It's stuff like this that's making me think I should carry on with my EUB a bit (that's got a tilt neck) before taking the plunge with (say) a Gedo.

Andy[/quote]

Get an adjustable bridge to start with, I'd say. I've changed the action on mine twice in the first week.

Hilarious sight the first time. If anyone had been watching they'd have thought I was defusing a bomb, i was that wary of the thing.

Old hand now, of course :)

Anyone who knows my thoughts on this will know that I am not that bothered by the set up - I knew that, whatever I had, I would have to adapt my technique. What I needed was to make sure my instrument was credible and that it wasn't a total piece of junk. After that, I woudl find my way over time. I had a bass before on loan for six months so knew what to expect but to suggest that I would have an informed opinion on set up woudl be disingenuous. I am in no position to decide what my ideal set up woudl be so go with the flow. As I develop and learn, I can form an opinion and get any modifications I need made as and when it makes sense to do so.

I'd be really carefull of anything with cracks, any where, (and I know that sounds obvious)

I had mine reparied by a VERY respectable violin maker and hes told me never to tune it up to concert pitch, again.

Now, it was a major repair he did, but if someone of this guys standard cant make garantees I'd be very beware.

sorry to be a downer but at the end of the day there are lots out there, and for a grand you'll get something ok

(mine was never worth that much anyway, and is really just a pleasing ornament now)

Is it a 3/4 btw?

Edited by witterth

[quote]Anyone who knows my thoughts on this will know that I am not that bothered by the set up - I knew that, whatever I had, I would have to adapt my technique. What I needed was to make sure my instrument was credible and that it wasn't a total piece of junk. After that, I woudl find my way over time. I had a bass before on loan for six months so knew what to expect but to suggest that I would have an informed opinion on set up woudl be disingenuous. I am in no position to decide what my ideal set up woudl be so go with the flow. As I develop and learn, I can form an opinion and get any modifications I need made as and when it makes sense to do so.[/quote]

As usual excellent advice from Mr B - exactly the approach I've taken - when I know what I'm talking about then that's the time to form an opinion on what needs to be adjusted. I took the approach of getting a well maintained bass from a professional player and I'll adjust my playing technique to play it - it's working brilliantly at the mo!

Edited by bob_pickard

what are you aiming to do with it btw? don't discount ply basses especially 1960's - 80s ones - they tend to be well made and extremely robust - perfect for regular gigging and you can get a great one for under £1000

It's better to get a good ply than an average carved - they come up regularly on ebay

Immediate aims are merely to 'get good', not necessarily gig with it (another reason there's no reason to rush, except for bargains, of course).

The DB stuff that gets me going are things like Chris Wood (MMW/John Scofield), Christian McBride (partic Philadelphia Experiment) and a couple of obscure funk things ... often stuff with lots of space and so the bass will be heard ... so I'm not about to drop into some well-defined genre (e.g. Jazz, Classical, Rockabilly) and it's difficult to define what I need in a bass.

I've seen blonde, laminate basses and they look good ... but I don't know if that's going to be a compromise in sound terms compared to a fully carved.