Why become a member? ×

Doom, or trancendental rock.

steve-soar

Back to the shoegazing indie rock :) It's not exactly Burning Witch, but this is my favourite Asva track:

Today, I'm mostly blasting some shamelessly Shabbath-shaped shtoner shludge shounds, courtesy of Churh of Misery. Saw them supporting Cathederal a few months ago, and they were the band of the night:

[quote name='Tech' post='913290' date='Aug 2 2010, 10:20 PM']not doom - almost the polar opposite infact - super high res, high pitched... but for me it's a peak of tracendental rock...

perhaps my favourite band? so f'n bleak...[/quote]

love Jesu, but that album got boring quick for me. it's a shame, because the first time I heard it I was blown away.

[quote name='wingnutkj' post='913162' date='Aug 2 2010, 08:44 PM']Yay! A topic I can talk about! (I've been lurking for ages).

Not strictly doom, but definitely trancendental - I've been playing the new Zoroaster album a lot recently - it sounds a lot like this:
[/quote]

woah they've changed always loved their first ep.

suprised no one has mentioned the wizard or sabbath yet!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-n6gpM5pFk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-n6gpM5pFk[/url] - electric wizard

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSiXEbtLpeA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSiXEbtLpeA[/url] - ufomammut

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izLrlSMF6Ek"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izLrlSMF6Ek[/url] - ufomammut and lento

Edited by umph

[quote name='umph' post='915377' date='Aug 4 2010, 09:14 PM']suprised no one has mentioned the wizard or sabbath yet![/quote]

Ah, g'wan then, have some doom from back when it was measured in Imperial units named after the man who discovered it (the Iommi) instead of this new-fangled metric stuff (is the SI unit of Doom the Om? The O'Malley? I wasn't paying attention in class):

[quote name='wingnutkj' post='915389' date='Aug 4 2010, 09:32 PM']Ah, g'wan then, have some doom from back when it was measured in Imperial units named after the man who discovered it (the Iommi) instead of this new-fangled metric stuff (is the SI unit of Doom the Om? The O'Malley? I wasn't paying attention in class):[/quote]

The decibel.

+1 to all of the above.
Apologies if they've been mentioned but you need to include Melvins in there somewhere. They did a lot with Boris, as I recall, though to be honest what y'all REALLY are needing is this:
[center] [/center]

Edited by BassMunkee

[quote name='Tech' post='913290' date='Aug 2 2010, 10:20 PM']not doom - almost the polar opposite infact - super high res, high pitched... but for me it's a peak of tracendental rock...

perhaps my favourite band? so f'n bleak...[/quote]
I LOVE JESU - mind you Justin Broadrick IS a God amongst men IMHO.

[quote name='BassMunkee' post='915708' date='Aug 5 2010, 10:46 AM'][center] [/center][/quote]
Hell yes. I saw Sunn O))) in Gateshead last December (playing stuff from Monoliths & Dimensions), and it was the most indescribably intense experience of my musical life. It was like being crushed with sound. Apparently they peaked around 150dB in a reasonably small room. Everything was physically shuddering. Just awesome.

[quote name='wingnutkj' post='913162' date='Aug 2 2010, 08:44 PM']Yay! A topic I can talk about! (I've been lurking for ages).

Not strictly doom, but definitely trancendental - I've been playing the new Zoroaster album a lot recently - it sounds a lot like this:
[/quote]
Jesus!
I swear to God that is THE MOST Awesome Thing I have heard in ages. :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='915718' date='Aug 5 2010, 10:53 AM']Hell yes. I saw Sunn O))) in Gateshead last December (playing stuff from Monoliths & Dimensions), and it was the most indescribably intense experience of my musical life. It was like being crushed with sound. Apparently they peaked around 150dB in a reasonably small room. Everything was physically shuddering. Just awesome.[/quote]
Yeah, I saw them in Glasgow on the same tour (with Bong, from your neck of the woods, supporting). The venue slowly filled with smoke beforehand until we could see almost nothing, and we were then subjected to an intense barrage of sound.

I also saw them at Primavera doing the Grimmrobe Demos last summer, but what with it being a festival and my mates not being too into it, I only stuck around for a bit of it. As I said to a mate I ran into on the way out - you can pretty much extrapolate the rest.

I managed to snap this photo, which I think pretty much sums it up:
[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/22751654@N00/3780851727/"][/url]

[quote name='wingnutkj' post='915806' date='Aug 5 2010, 12:13 PM']Yeah, I saw them in Glasgow on the same tour (with Bong, from your neck of the woods, supporting).[/quote]
Bong?! Bloody hell, how did they get that support slot? Never really rated them, but I haven't seen them play for a few years. Must have improved somewhat. :) Good on 'em!

Edited by BottomEndian

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='915718' date='Aug 5 2010, 10:53 AM']Hell yes. I saw Sunn O))) in Gateshead last December (playing stuff from Monoliths & Dimensions), and it was the most indescribably intense experience of my musical life. It was like being crushed with sound. Apparently they peaked around 150dB in a reasonably small room. Everything was physically shuddering. Just awesome.[/quote]
Same here, saw/heard/felt them at Salford. The most amazingly, and entertainingly, different show I've ever attended. And that includes the bowl of free ear-plugs on the way in. :)

• 2 years later...

[quote name='Chest Rockwell' timestamp='1280819919' post='913465']
thats a bit better, Burning Witch is what you need though ;) or Thorrs Hammer ;) ;)

if anyone's new to this game, seek out the Roadburn festival and myspace the bands listed. I've been the last 4 or 5 years in a row. tis the motherlode for this kind of music.
[/quote]

I visited Roadburn for the first time this year, and it will definitely be a tradition, as long as I can get a ticket. :)