Why become a member? ×

French or German bow?

fatback

Looks like I may have found a bass, but we'll see... More anon.

Meantime there's the subject of bows.

French or German? I read somewhere on this forum, but haven't been able to find it since, that German may be better for people with longer arms? Quite a picture. Trouble is, I don't know if my arms are long or short. A Belgian bow for average?

I understand the way they're held is different, but are they so different that if you learn on one you couldn't easily change? What's the biggest difference in technique?

I ask because I've been looking at the Yitamusic carbon jobs beloved of Jennifer, and they offer both.

Thanks again for all your help.

Dave

Always an interesting one, this - Basically arm length has nothing to do with the French/German question. It's mainly a case of the kind of sound you want. The French bow is better for stacatto and articulation, whereas the German bow is better for legato playing and straight-line power. Apart from the difference in holding technique, the only real change is that you need to lean more around the bass, reaching lower down with the German bow.

Both bow types have their appeals & I regularly use both. Hope that makes things a little clearer. No? Ah well! :)

I recommend that you find a teacher and adopt their preferred bow grip. Playing with a bow is probably the most difficult thing about the double bass, and you will want a teacher to show you the ropes. As I am sure you have read ad nauseum already here and elsewhere, the bow is a very good learning tool but certainly in conjunction with solid technique from the start.

I am only one month into arco playing and have both. i can already see the benefits of having some knowledge of both. The German fell more easily into my hands but the French is more, eh, controllable (?) soundwise. Its good fun exploring the mysteries of both. That's the fun of learning.

Good luck on the trek to Cork :)

I use French mainly because its what my teacher uses and it seems like its more intricate dynamics look like their more controllable with it. Compared to the german which looks like a power bow.

I asked my teacher about it and he's buying one for us to experiment with as im his only DB student at the moment.

I'm also interested in this topic, but for slightly different reasons.

I am being assessed for neurological problems which cause the ball of my thumbs to go into cramp after about two minutes of gentle gripping. I can probably work around that in my fingering hand by adopting a sloppy technique and putting the palm of my hand on the back/far edge of the neck, but a french bow gives me problems. Is a german bow likely to be better for me?

I've had a year off, and at the moment I am just trying to get back into bass guitar playing, and my EUB is still packed away. I'm coming round to the idea that I may never be much good, but I may still have fun at my level.

All comments gratefully received.

David

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' post='903675' date='Jul 24 2010, 12:05 AM']I'm also interested in this topic, but for slightly different reasons.

I am being assessed for neurological problems which cause the ball of my thumbs to go into cramp after about two minutes of gentle gripping. I can probably work around that in my fingering hand by adopting a sloppy technique and putting the palm of my hand on the back/far edge of the neck, but a french bow gives me problems. Is a german bow likely to be better for me?

I've had a year off, and at the moment I am just trying to get back into bass guitar playing, and my EUB is still packed away. I'm coming round to the idea that I may never be much good, but I may still have fun at my level.

All comments gratefully received.

David[/quote]
When I took up DB again last year, my right hand used to cramp up terribly after even a few bars playing with a French bow, particularly as my right thumb seems 'double jointed'. I'd wondered about a German bow, but my teacher encouraged me to persist, as in his view much of the cramping actually comes down to how relaxed you are as a whole when playing - hand, wrist, arms, posture and everything. This has paid off, and I can play longer pieces fine now using the French bow, with few of the cramping problems.
My teacher's views on the merits of French bows over German are as others have commented previously.

[quote name='27 frets' post='903776' date='Jul 24 2010, 09:18 AM']When I took up DB again last year, my right hand used to cramp up terribly after even a few bars playing with a French bow, particularly as my right thumb seems 'double jointed'. I'd wondered about a German bow, but my teacher encouraged me to persist, as in his view much of the cramping actually comes down to how relaxed you are as a whole when playing - hand, wrist, arms, posture and everything. This has paid off, and I can play longer pieces fine now using the French bow, with few of the cramping problems.
My teacher's views on the merits of French bows over German are as others have commented previously.[/quote]

(French) Where you grip the bow can have great effect on this too, I play with my thumb in the cutout on the frog rather than on the stick beside the frog like most people. A lot of players also use a bit of rubber tubing over the stick to beef it out a bit, then it takes less pressure to grip. As said though, the most important thing is to stay relaxed. Most problems are tension related.