Why become a member? ×

Stanley at Ronnie's

4 Strings

[quote name='XB26354' post='902646' date='Jul 23 2010, 12:39 AM']... Stanley was and is great but came across to me as souped-up funk. Never liked his bass tone or his tendency to muck around with piccolo bass (who's the bass player Stan? Jimmy Earl!) He has had a lot longer to grow and change, and whilst I don't doubt for a minute that his playing was top notch, as others have said he hasn't really gone anywhere stylistically. And that's without any (perceived) mental disorders... Still, each to their own.[/quote]

There was very little at Ronnie Scott's which related to the 70s/80s stuff to which you refer. He did some solo swapping right at the start and gave us a bit of that on the electric but apart from that it was down the line jazz, mostly on the upright, with some of the best musicians in the world. I honestly can think of no-one who could play like he did. Not even Jaco.

We saw the Neil Cowley Trio there a little while ago and really enjoyed it, we're fans, knew what we expected, received it and better, and bought an album or two and will remember the gig for a long time. This was a totally different experience, we were left with our jaws on the ground. Not just for the technical stuff but the beauty of the whole thing. I don't expect an equal musical experience for a long time, if ever. Please, get out to see him if you possible can!

[quote name='4000' post='902793' date='Jul 23 2010, 08:30 AM']I wasn't talking about this Forum per se, I was speaking generally. Besides, even if Jaco gets knocked on here (although I'm not sure he does apart from possibly in response to a "Jaco is the best ever" kind of comment - you could insert anyone's name in that sentence and someone will have a go!) Stanley hardly gets a mention normally, which kind of proves my point. Whenever I read an article about the the true giants of the electric bass it always seems to be about Jaco. Not that he shouldn't be up there, obviously he should...but Stan should be up there with him. Personally I feel that even if you only make one statement, if that statement is strong enough then you've confirmed your place in history.[/quote]

Totally agree.

I think when a musician is still around and has an output of new music they end up, in a way, being a little forgotten, sometimes because their output reduces (or fluctuates) in it's quality other times just because we get used to their style and so maybe it's no longer different or because others have copied or extended their style to become the next "best" thing.

Obviously Jaco's life was cut short and so to an extent we always wonder if he could have done even more amazing things. But Stanley Clarke (imo) is without doubt one of the greats. A pioneer every bit as important to the bass (if not more) than Jaco, but often forgotten because he's thankfully still with us. I write this whilst listening to his latest album :)

As for the whole "who is best" type debates - these are pointless as it depends on the type of music you like, the type of musician you like and so on. It's not based upon some truly quantifiable measurement. If we could quatify and therefore score musicians it'd still be meaningless. So let's not concern ourselves with who is the best but instead just enjoy listening to them.

Oh and Stanley's easily the best anyway :lol:

EDIT: Oh btw whilst I say the "who's best" debates are pointless I fully expect them to continue and for me to take part in them - hypocrit that I may be :rolleyes:

Edited by purpleblob

[quote name='purpleblob' post='902885' date='Jul 23 2010, 10:12 AM']Totally agree.

I think when a musician is still around and has an output of new music they end up, in a way, being a little forgotten, sometimes because their output reduces (or fluctuates) in it's quality other times just because we get used to their style and so maybe it's no longer different or because others have copied or extended their style to become the next "best" thing.

Obviously Jaco's life was cut short and so to an extent we always wonder if he could have done even more amazing things. But Stanley Clarke (imo) is without doubt one of the greats. A pioneer every bit as important to the bass (if not more) than Jaco, but often forgotten because he's thankfully still with us. I write this whilst listening to his latest album :)

As for the whole "who is best" type debates - these are pointless as it depends on the type of music you like, the type of musician you like and so on. It's not based upon some truly quantifiable measurement. If we could quatify and therefore score musicians it'd still be meaningless. So let's not concern ourselves with who is the best but instead just enjoy listening to them.[/quote]

Were we separated at birth? :rolleyes:

[quote name='4 Strings' post='901394' date='Jul 21 2010, 10:25 PM']My mind was expanded when I saw Victor Wooten at the Digital Village thing, what a musician, what timing and what a fella.

I have always thought Stanley Clarke to be the 'master' though. Perhaps the best electric bass player ever.

Having seen him play with his band of youngsters at Ronnie Scotts last week I realise he's not on the same planet as the rest of us, it was, I think, one of the strongest and moving musical experience I have ever had.

I would have been disappointed if he played only the first third of the set on electric bass and the rest with his upright, however much I enjoy the sound of an upright and watching it being played well. This is exactly what he did and I am blown away. He is an absolute master of that instrument, I don't just mean in terms of technique, speed (even slapping!) but so musical, such feeling and beauty. It was truly wonderful.

As an aside, his right hand and fingers are incredibly strong, even thumping the strings he makes it look like a graceful tickling of the the strings.

Had to tell someone![/quote]

I hope he did a few sets, last time I saw him at RS he did the same set over, it was a diinner show and no one asked us to leave so we saw it twice. Same jokes and moves though. That was the band with A Sabal Lecco.
But Stanley is Stanley, it is always great to see him, he plays effortlessly and his upright work is just effortlessly intonated.