Why become a member? ×

Musicman copy for modifying

jakowelshy

Bassically im looking for a decent copy of a musicman bass that I could modify whilst saving a hell of a lot of money. Iv tried to get hold of an OLP however as they no longer manufactor them its a bit hit and miss that i can find a secondhand one. Iv also looked at a vintage est96 Passive version ( [url="http://www.westendmusic.co.uk/media/vintage_est.JPG"]http://www.westendmusic.co.uk/media/vintage_est.JPG[/url] ) so if anyone knows anything about this one or any others i would really appreciate it. Also it would be reli good if it could sound good live through a decent amp settup.

Thanks

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OLP-Ernie-Ball-Bass-Guitar-4-Strings-Music-man-/110562757288?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item19be0dcaa8"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OLP-Ernie-Ball-Bass-...=item19be0dcaa8[/url]

This one is worth watching,I think an OLP is your best bet if you can get one,Subs are too near bottom Ernie Ball prices now,Ray 34's I have no idea about, worth a look but going to cost more than you want to pay I think.Other replica stuff probably not worth spending your cash on IMO.Are you after a cheap bass to mess with that looks like a Ray or one to actually play? Some great squier stuff about that you can upgrade as and when to a very good standard with parts available off the shelf.Lots of folk on here have got modded jazz and P-basses.Less stuff to buy for the Rays and if its a korean Ebay special what is out there probably wont fit anyway?(My mates got a cheap Ray copy its passive and the pickup is nothing like the same shape up close).Option B is to save up a bit more and get a slightly scuffed up Stingray for £500 and love it forever safe in the knowledge someone else paid 3 times as much for it! :)

[quote name='jakowelshy' post='901641' date='Jul 22 2010, 09:32 AM']yh it is, shame. thanks for the heads up though[/quote]

No problem.

To be honest i feel its almost complete as it is so not really worth spending too much on as there is no need IMHO.

Good luck with the search.

Depends what you really want. If you want a bass that looks like a Musicman Stingray and sounds like one, then I'd go for either a SUB or the Sterling Ray34. I've got the Sterling Ray34 and it sounds just like a US Stingray.

If you just like the shape, and want to modify it so as it sounds like something completley different from a Stingray then the Vintage is a really good bet.

To be honest, if its the latter you want to do, then you'll probably end up spending around £300 on the whole thing. If its the former, you'll probably spend about £400.

Bear in mind, that a Sterling Ray will hold its price better than a modified cheaper bass.

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='901668' date='Jul 22 2010, 09:54 AM']Depends what you really want. If you want a bass that looks like a Musicman Stingray and sounds like one, then I'd go for either a SUB or the Sterling Ray34. I've got the Sterling Ray34 and it sounds just like a US Stingray.

If you just like the shape, and want to modify it so as it sounds like something completley different from a Stingray then the Vintage is a really good bet.

To be honest, if its the latter you want to do, then you'll probably end up spending around £300 on the whole thing. If its the former, you'll probably spend about £400.

Bear in mind, that a Sterling Ray will hold its price better than a modified cheaper bass.[/quote]

And if you want a bass sounding close to a stingray at lower cost and without any upgrades i would say to take a look at the Ibanez ATK. Tried one against my stingray5 and the tone is very similar (the SR5 is overall better thought :) )