Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot Repair

Boy Thunder

I am a very happy Bunny indeed... :huh:

I recently had the misfortune to have my new (18 month old) Trace 715X go down... Lights on... no sound... :)

So I called them up and got confirmation that she was still under warranty. I took the amp back to the shop I bought it from (Soundcontrol, Leicester) and after a bit of confusion they sent it back to them for the repair to be assessed and done... :huh:

Now, it took them about 2 weeks for the amp to come back and when it did I was more than a little pi88ed off... :huh:

The tolex looked like it had been viciously removed and then VERY badly put back on. So bad that it was peeling off again.. The badge was scratched to high heaven, one of the corner protectors was missing a screw and another was missing completely.

When I pointed these issues out to the "assistant" I was told that they didn't do it...
"I don't care!!" was my censored reply "Please fix it." (also censored)...

Well, they sent it back again....

On Tuesday I got a call from Poundcontrol advising me that the Trace had been returned and I could collect it...

Now, I've been a bit busy recently so I was unable to collect it until today.

During a lunch with my business partner today we had reason to call poundcontrol about a different issue but 5 minutes later I got a call from them.

I was informed by another "assistant" that my Trace had NOT in fact been returned at all but in fact... REPLACED with an absolutely brand spanking new, sparkling, still in the box amp. Together with a free fitted amp cover, stomp box, leads and user manual...

I am HAPPY....

I have a gig tomorrow too... guess what.....!!!

Yeah.... It's gonna be bass driven.... :huh:

I just wanted to pass that on to you all. Just in case you need to send things back to Trace... I am well happy with their response...

To be honest... John_the_bass... ^^^^^ up there... helped me unload it from my van then we went to the pub... I've not checked it at all yet....

I'll give it a thrang in the morning and if all goes well then I'll be well happy... If not then it'll be straight back to the shop and my ashdown will take its place at the gig...

Embers still glowing.... :)

[quote name='Boy Thunder' post='100616' date='Dec 7 2007, 01:08 AM']To be honest... John_the_bass... ^^^^^ up there... helped me unload it from my van then we went to the pub... I've not checked it at all yet....

I'll give it a thrang in the morning and if all goes well then I'll be well happy... If not then it'll be straight back to the shop and my ashdown will take its place at the gig...

Embers still glowing.... :)[/quote]

Hope your new 715X is OK.

The basic 715 happens to be fairly near the top of a shortlist of combos I'm currently GASing for. I have to say that story has moved it a little higher. There are a few manufacturers whose products have a worse reputation for going wrong than Trace Elliott, but I guess it's how far they'll go to put matters right that counts.

[quote name='Krysbass' post='101061' date='Dec 7 2007, 06:42 PM']Hope your new 715X is OK.

The basic 715 happens to be fairly near the top of a shortlist of combos I'm currently GASing for. I have to say that story has moved it a little higher. There are a few manufacturers whose products have a worse reputation for going wrong than Trace Elliott, but I guess it's how far they'll go to put matters right that counts.[/quote]

I understand what you mean by this - and I'm pleased the Trace was replaced - but imho at the top of my shortlist would be he one where posts say ' dropped it down a lift shaft and it still worked fine'.

[quote name='Boy Thunder' post='101252' date='Dec 8 2007, 03:14 AM']Well... I did the gig with the amp untested... the first sound it made was during soundcheck... and it stood up very well indeed..

I'm still happy...

We have been asked back too... and a couple of the punters have taken details to book us aswell...!!
So all is good..

I like Trace.... :)[/quote]

good gig then?

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='101261' date='Dec 8 2007, 09:39 AM']I understand what you mean by this - and I'm pleased the Trace was replaced - but imho at the top of my shortlist would be he one where posts say ' dropped it down a lift shaft and it still worked fine'.[/quote]

Trace actually did something along these lines as a PR exercise to highlight the build quality of their new range a few months ago. They dropped one of their amps from the end of a crane and apparently it still worked OK. Though I guess the outside would have been pretty mashed up. Hope they didn't try this on Boy Thunder's original 715X, hence the state it arrived back in. That's maybe taking quality control a bit far?! :)

Anyway, it's good to hear that all is well with the replacement 715X.

My shortlist is still very much open. I came to the not very useful conclusion yesterday that I really need a Markbass CMD 121H, but for about £200 less than the normal price. As I've probably got more chance of winning the lottery (which I don't do), the search continues!

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='101270' date='Dec 8 2007, 09:22 AM']good gig then?[/quote]

Yes thanks....

Jim had a few issues with his amp... but when doesn't he... It sounded like a bunch of wasps in a biscuit tin for most of the night... But as we didn't start til 11 most of the punters were to pi88ed to care... Too busy staring at Emma.... :)

How's yer Ma?