Why become a member? ×

Shipping prices from Ireland have gone through the ROOF

Ataraxia2320

Didnt know where to post this but I said in the general might be a good place to start. If a mod feels like it should be moved feel free to do so.

Anyway I recently moved from Cork, Ireland to Aachen, Germany. At the time when I was flying over I couldnt afford to bring any of my basses or guitars over with me(It was terrible, like leaving children behind :) ).

So in the mean time ive managed to procure a bass over here(she aint great by a long shot, but its playable) and I called my folks back home asking them could they ship over my guitar to me. Ive shipped out a few heavy basses/guitars in the past that were about 15 or more KG with hardshell cases and it has never come to anything over 60 euro. For my telecaster and hardshell case(I think it was 8kg overall) I was quoted 170 euro by dpd and 120 by ups.

Whats up with the sudden hike of prices? Is there any other companies that haven't hiked there prices up? Im going to give a call around tomorrow butI just thought it was so strange for the price to more than double :rolleyes:.

Anyone had any similar experiences or if ye can offer any advice that would be great! I need to get a guitar over here before my head explodes!!(been without one for 2 months now!)

Hi Barry,
Colin from Tralee here.
Your best bet would be Miah Lynch (a local courier, dunno if you know him?)
He is now a G.L.S. rep and he recently sorted me out with shipping a bass to the UK (for a BC´er) for a very, very reasonable rate (fully insured with track and trace).
If you want, I can PM his mobile number and you can get your folks to give him a shout.

P.S.
How´s Germany treating you?

Edited by basshead56

Alot of the international carriers we use at the shop changed their pricing format a year or so back; rather than just weight it's down to size(!) so a guitar or bass costs half a fortune to ship around these days. Ironically it now costs almost the same to send a gigbag with no guitar!

parcel2go.com.ie , i used them a few times to sent basses to uk , around 30 euro .by far the cheapest. irish customs are also getting to be pain in the ass got charged a stupid amount of tax on bass from japan last week.

[quote name='basshead56' post='899247' date='Jul 19 2010, 06:42 PM']Hi Barry,
Colin from Tralee here.
Your best bet would be Miah Lynch (a local courier, dunno if you know him?)
He is now a G.L.S. rep and he recently sorted me out with shipping a bass to the UK (for a BC´er) for a very, very reasonable rate (fully insured with track and trace).
If you want, I can PM his mobile number and you can get your folks to give him a shout.

P.S.
How´s Germany treating you?[/quote]

Oh, can he organise shipments inwards from the UK too?

It might be cheaper to send your German courier for it.
Not actually, of course, they will farm the work out to local couriers, but organising the deal to be done FROM Germany will be cheaper.
I have done this from ireland in the past when stuck with a whopping shipping bill in the States for a bass.

Edited by overdriver