Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Making 6-string set of Ernie Balls - what gauge C string?

JimBobTTD

Hello

I am experimenting with 6 string basses and it is going very well. I would now like to put on some fresh strings, but Ernie Ball don't do a 6-string set in my preferred gauge. I don't know what is on there right now, but the C string feels a bit thin and sounds a little (just a little) bit weedy.

I normally use EB Power Slinky Bass 5, 50-70-85-105-135 and the band tunes down a whole step, ie A-D-G-C-F. So I am now looking for a string which will be tuned down to Bb.

The bass is 34" scale and the strings anchor at the bridge.

EB do single strings at 0.032 and 0.040 - which one would the collective genius of Basschat suggest? I would rather not switch brands, gauge on the other strings or string material, so I am pretty much sold on making my own sets of Ernie Ball!

Thanks in advance!

About C string feeling thin and sounding weedy - I think, it's more to do with the bass scale, than strings..

If you want good sounding C, in my opinion, you should be going for 33' scale bass.. (That's what I'm doing after trying E-C tuning on my 34' Ibby.. it doesn't sound good, and it's not the string problem..)