Why become a member? ×

Identify/comment on this bass?

Hi guys,

A muso friend of mine went abroad about 6weeks ago and very nicely for me he wanted a home for his upright where it would be played, looked after and not just sit around collecting dust.

I've played it a hell of a lot since getting ti as I've never had immediate access to a DB for such a long time so I thought I'd make the most of it and I'm now thinking seeing as I've began making a connection with this particular bass (and the owner wont be back for months yet) I might want to make the man an offer for it seeing as he now only plays classical guitar (and after months away travelling and studying music I can't imagine he'll be rolling in it).

The problem is I know sod all about DBs when it comes to manufacturers, quality or condition so I was hoping someone could help tell me what such an instrument goes for from looking at these fairly poor pics.

History: It was apparently used by someone with links to flamenco music for a rather long time and was then bought by a jazzer in the UK and since then was sold to my friend over here in North Wales.

It's gos some weird almost putty-like stuff right in the centre between the tuning pegs, a rather fetching crack running down under the bridge area, damage to the back of the headstock and some kind of duct tape serving some purpose on the bottom; I dare not remove it.

There's a pickup fo sorts fitted that I think was mentioned as a Shadow and yet I again I have no idea if that's good or bad.

He has been informed it's 'old'....

Any help would be great.

I haven't played many basses that play much better than this one but the only upright i've played with a proffessional set-up was an absolute joy to play in comparisson so I think I'd get that done along with the other work.

If anyone can tell me how serious the damage looks (especially any story behind that stuff on the headstock) and how much it'd cost/how important it is to have the instrument looked at if it does end up in my hands.

I can take more pictures if need be.

Cheers guys,
Ben.

I gathered old is good Bilbo and cosmetically it certainly IS good.

I've had a gander inside but can't see anything writen at all through either the f holes.

I can't imagine the repairs it needs would be very cheap would they?

Any idea what that cracked material is in the second picture right under the scroll?

If it's holding together despite of the damage, then the chances are the damage may not be too extensive and more cosmetic. Signs of a life well travelled :) There are a lot of knowledgeable DB-ers on Talkbass.com who might be able to you identify the bass, especially if you have really good pictures that show the true colour and detail etc. The helped me identify mine (when I had one) to a Meinel or Musima, based purely of the beading and headstock! Might be worth a shot?

+1 to having someone look at it.

That crack looks a bit worrying - again someone that knows what they're doing might be able to rectify it easy enough.

You picture isn't too clear, but I'm not sure if that is a shadow pickup. If it sounds good when plugged in, who cares ....?

Sounds like you're falling in love with her. Have you two been out on a date yet?

(NB - guessing it's a "her")

I'd guess German and late 19th/early 20th century. It looks similar to mine - there seem to be lots of these old German flatbacks around and most of them have no makers name. Unfortunately the long crack running up towards the bridge looks like it follows the line of the bass bar. Unless it has already been repaired, it will be an expensive job, as the top has to be removed. It should be a nice bass when everything's fettled though...

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' post='895197' date='Jul 14 2010, 11:01 PM']I'd guess German and late 19th/early 20th century. It looks similar to mine - there seem to be lots of these old German flatbacks around and most of them have no makers name. Unfortunately the long crack running up towards the bridge looks like it follows the line of the bass bar. Unless it has already been repaired, it will be an expensive job, as the top has to be removed. It should be a nice bass when everything's fettled though...[/quote]

I'd agree. Probably turn of the century German, and probably 'factory manufactured' rather than luthier buit. The give away with these basses is the bout reinforcing running around the outside where the back and front join. Nothing negative here, usually good solid basses and made of real wood - before ply/laminates came in - but won't set the world alight.

Bass bar crack, nasty..... but not unretrieveable.

Thanks for the help guys.

Being a bit of a no-name and needing at least one seemingly serious job doing as well as some cosmetic stuff what would be a reasonable price to pay for it if it came up for sale?

And on that note would I be wiser spending the same money on something with possibly less history but that doesn't have the same level of damage to it?

I'm only asking for advice because it seems you can do nearly anything to an electric and it will keep going and sounding relatively the same but these ye olde basses aren't quite so forgiving....

Thanks again.