Why become a member? ×

Tonerider Jazz bass pups - any experience?

Stacker

I've got one in the bridge of my ropey old Jazz copy, I don't really like it. I read all the reviews about how brilliant they are, so figured for £25 you couldn't really go wrong. It's a bit thin, not much output. Maybe if it's in a matched pair (and a decent bass) it wouldn't be as bad, but I wouldn't buy one again. I'm starting to think that all those glowing reviews are written by people with nothing to comapre them to.
However, at that price it's worth getting some just to try, if you don't like them you can flip them on for pretty much the same price easily enough on the bay.

These pickups are £50 a pair and made in China, right?

Well, I've never used Toneriders, but for £20 more you could get a set of pickups hand-wound in the UK by [url="http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/shop.asp?category=Bass"]someone who cares[/url].

Just sayin'.

Edited by wateroftyne

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='893384' date='Jul 13 2010, 07:24 AM']These pickups are £50 a pair and made in China, right?

Well, I've never used Toneriders, but for £20 more you could get a set of pickups hand-wound in the UK by [url="http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/shop.asp?category=Bass"]someone who cares[/url].

Just sayin'.[/quote]

Yep, that's what I'm planning on replacing the sh1tbuckets in my J with, pair of Wizard 84s.
Though I've never used those either, just heard good things.

[quote name='Stacker' post='893405' date='Jul 13 2010, 08:28 AM']Wizards, eh? Heard that name a lot on this forum.

Anyone tried Kent Armstrongs, particularly the ceramic ones?[/quote]

Heh, me again...
Got Kents in my P-bass, they're not the ceramics though, hot alnicos. Sound surprisingly good for the price, I have no complaints, and haven't felt the need to upgrade them that I thought I was going to.