Why become a member? ×

Genz-Benz Neo-Pak 3.5 **SALE PENDING**

deksawyer

I just bought this of BB2000, but it doesn't seem to work well with my cabs compared to my NA650.

It has a nice bright, modern sound - very fast and sharp. I like the sound actually, but it doesn't sit well in my current band.

350w @ 4ohm, valve preamp and a great EQ. Plenty loud enough.

Nice and light as well; just under 4kg. Pretty much A1 condition, with a couple of very faint marks on the top. Front panel is A1.

I paid £300 for it, but I'm including a brand new Genz padded shoulder bag and a rack ear kit worth around £60 (EDIT - rack ears haven't shown up so may well not be available).

EDIT - NEW PRICE; (£340) [b]£320[/b] inc P&P without rack ears (which didn't show up).

D.

Edited by deksawyer

If I can just butt in - just in case any potential buyer reading Derek's advert thinks that the amp can't do 'old skool' rest assured it can. I've never been that much of a fan of starved plate valve pre-amps but this design is better than most, although if your PUP's are weak it can be difficult to drive the valve into heavy distortion.

I've tried pretty much all the smaller heads over the years and this has been the only one I've kept. I think it's the best lightweight head for electric bass - bar none - on the market (for acoustic I'd give the nod to AI - but only because of the AI's variable high pass filter).

The power specification is also accurate (I've measured it) unlike some vendors (EA comes to mind ...).

Of course, all IMO.

It is capable, but it hasn't been modded to do so.

Genz are sending me the required upgraded parts to officially enable it to drive a 2ohm load. I have a friend who is an aerospace electronic design engineer who is going to carry out the mod for me.

Having said that, it's loud enough at 4ohm if that's what your cab(s) are rated at.

D.

[quote name='deksawyer' post='101108' date='Dec 7 2007, 10:26 PM']It is capable, but it hasn't been modded to do so.

Genz are sending me the required upgraded parts to officially enable it to drive a 2ohm load. I have a friend who is an aerospace electronic design engineer who is going to carry out the mod for me.

Having said that, it's loud enough at 4ohm if that's what your cab(s) are rated at.

D.[/quote]
Any idea when it'll be ready for 2 ohms?

Very interested in this once its done...

[quote name='BB2000' post='103550' date='Dec 12 2007, 08:43 PM']I can't believe people are spending more money on LMII's in preference to this! Anyone else here use GB?[/quote]

I'd like to.... but am waiting to see their great new product being released in the New Year.... :)

Bump for this great amp!

[quote name='cetera' post='103770' date='Dec 13 2007, 11:17 AM']I'd like to.... but am waiting to see their great new product being released in the New Year.... :)

Bump for this great amp![/quote]

Do you mean the Class-D shuttle amps? The shuttle 600 looks like it'll kill the Markbass F1. It's a pity they won't handle 2ohm load though, and who knows how they'll sound? I'll still have a punt on one, if they're priced within reach.

[quote]Is it a full on modern sound?

Can it do that sweet deep low, but with a sparkly top end?[/quote]

Well it's supposed to by all accounts, and I'm going to give it one more shot at our next practice.

It's a wonderful piece of kit and I'd like to keep it if I can find my sound.

D.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, here are some pics of the actual amp for sale;

[attachment=4982:neopak01.jpg]

[attachment=4983:neopak02.jpg]

[attachment=4984:neopak03.jpg]

[attachment=4985:neopak04.jpg]

[attachment=4986:neopak05.jpg]

[attachment=4987:neopak06.jpg]

[attachment=4988:neopak07.jpg]

[attachment=4989:neopak08.jpg]

As you can see it's in great shape with just a few marks on the top. Loads of interest via PM, but nothing firm yet.

C'mon folks.....[b]£320 posted with the bag (no rack ears)[/b].

D.