Why become a member? ×

I did it.... now with photos

Bilbo

Stuck the Evah's on this afternoon. First thoughts are it is warmer but not louder so I will try a professional set up next (I had to fit the bridge myself on delivery and may have missed something). Arco is easier with the new strings though. Am using a Finale Carbon Fiber French bow and the German bow that came with the bass. The German is easier to use but the French soounds better so I will stick with it.

Using the Simandl and a couple of books by Neil Tarlton inc one on the Sevcik method of studying bowing technique. I like the logic and it seems to be paying dividends as my arco playing is improving after only two weeks.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='895904' date='Jul 15 2010, 07:43 PM']Stuck the Evah's on this afternoon. First thoughts are it is warmer but not louder...[/quote]

I noticed the same with the Evah Wiechs. They are skinnier than the Honey's and more focused but not louder as reported by many.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='895904' date='Jul 15 2010, 07:43 PM']Am using a Finale Carbon Fiber French bow and the German bow that came with the bass. The German is easier to use but the French sounds better so I will stick with it.[/quote]

If you fancy selling the German bow I would be interested. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Got a double bass stand off DJM. Tigermusic stand. Solid enough. £30 + p+p. Recommended it if anyone was considering it.

Did another trio gig last Sunday - paino player couldn't play under 380 bpm so I have a nice blister for my trouble. Bless :)

I am now locked into that battle with double bass strings where I find I like them one minute and not the next and start talking myself into wanting Spiros or whatever. At the gig on Sunday, the E and A strings sounded HUGE and really growly but the D, G and C strings were a bit less satisfying. Was it me, was it the bass or was it the strings? Ask me again tomorrow and I will probably give you a different answer. More to the point, I felt, with hindsight, that the volume, poor sound and freneticism of the pianist undermined my own sound as I was concentrating on keeping up/in time rather than on the more musical aspects of the art. In short, I suspect I would have sounded better with more sensitive accompaniment.

I think I need to concentrate on the music and let the sound develop as it does for now. As my technique beds in, I will get more of an idea of what works. It sounds pretty good on its own and in recordings so it is probably an amplification thing as much as a string thing. I also want to get it professionally set up but have to wait for the cash to present itself before I can proceed!!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='908018' date='Jul 28 2010, 11:42 AM']I think I'm going through the same thing. I thought my bass sounded boxy and dull and I was thinking about changing strings until I played it in the living room and suddenly it sounded open and woody and lively... It's hard to tell what a bass sounds like when you're standing behind it anyway.[/quote]

Every room is different. Front room playing can sound sooo different then on a gig. My bass sounded it's best outside :)

I feel for you guys about finding the right string. I'm a "just get on with it" sort of player (which is by no means for everyone) and I just do my best to make great sounds with what I have. My struggle is with string height. I like it high but it makes soloing difficult, but I just plow on.

I hope you get settled down sooner than later so you can play and have fun.

[quote name='TPJ' post='908208' date='Jul 28 2010, 02:06 PM']Every room is different. Front room playing can sound sooo different then on a gig. My bass sounded it's best outside :rolleyes:

I feel for you guys about finding the right string. I'm a "just get on with it" sort of player (which is by no means for everyone) and I just do my best to make great sounds with what I have. My struggle is with string height. I like it high but it makes soloing difficult, but I just plow on.

I hope you get settled down sooner than later so you can play and have fun.[/quote]

Oh I'm already having fun, I play it just about every day, it's standing in a corner in my dining room and I can't walk past without turning it around and plunking a tune out, and I try to get an hour or so to work on "proper music learning" with it in the evenings if I can. Which I'm about to start... :)

I am working through Neil Tarlton's books at the moment and focussing on very small details liek position shifting. It is having a really positive effect on my playing. Its a real case of slow and steady/less is more and I am finding that, by spending less time ripping it up with Scott LaFaro transcriptions, I am making steadier progress in both arco and pizz.

• 2 weeks later...

I did my first gig on DB tonight, doing an "unplugged" set of my reggae/punk band's tunes with just guitar, bass and a pared down drum set, and three vox, and two kazoos (mine wobblily mounted on a copper wire hooked around my tuners). I even used the bow on an intro and I didn't f*** it up - go me!

A professional double bassist was in the crowd and afterwards collared me for a natter about some gigs I might want to do, so I presumably wasn't astonishingly sh*t.

Loved it, would do it again.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='928272' date='Aug 18 2010, 01:12 AM']A professional double bassist was in the crowd and afterwards collared me for a natter about some gigs I might want to do, so I presumably wasn't astonishingly sh*t.

Loved it, would do it again.[/quote]

Looks like you might have to :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='928553' date='Aug 18 2010, 12:35 PM']I will need a bigger car though. Got my DB, amp and associated gubbins in the wee Daihatsu but if I had to carry bass guitars and pedals too I would need to put stuff in the passenger seat.[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=99944&st=0&p=934927&#entry934927"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry934927[/url]

:)

• 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I am now a few years in with this bass and play regularly with some of the UK's greatest Jazz musicians: Art Themen, Jim Mullen, Alan Barnes, Nigel ORice, John Etheridge etc etc. The bass never lets me down; I do :blink: , but the bass doesn't :lol:. Here is a more recent sample...

https://soundcloud.com/robert-palmer-1/estate